• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

2 hours ago, Professur said:

What is this vac ball of which you speak? Personally I'm not a fan of vacuum bleeding.  When you lower the pressure on a fluid, any dissolved gas can boil out.  This can lead to more gas pockets in the lines than you started with.  Shouldn't really be a problem unless you're dealing with the worst case scenarios, but my gut won't let me take that chance.

Pro, I couldn't agree more! Basically it's similar to gravity bleeding, but way faster or more like siphoning, but much better. When I ran pure silicone in my Z brake system the silicone was very high end, used in the MK46 torpedo built in Cleveland and used by the US Navy which tested it in the Mariana trench off Seattle. This fluid was horrible to bleed, infinite for air.

Anyway this was the only way I could bleed that fluid. See attached photos. Once you fill the master cylinder you leave the cap just sitting over the opening and you must obviously keep it filled so the bottom outlets don't come uncovered. You simply squeeze the vac ball and release. It then sucks fluid from the master cylinder, fills the ball, squeeze again the check valve closes preventing fluid from going backwards, but pushes the fluid in the ball out into the container. When you release the ball again it sucks more fluid! The bleeder valve just needs cracked a little, but the threads should be coated with anti-seize to prevent air from coming in around the treads.

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ah ... I've always heard that called a siphon bulb.  Wouldn't want to put one up against regular dot 3. Neat idea tho ... definitely avoids the issue of pushing the brake pedal too far and tearing a seal in the MC.

Pro, it will work with Dot 3 fluid or even acidic fluids, gas etc. https://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Supplies/Pipet-Bulbs/_/8AFF0743-D0A6-421B-A8B2-85EFD4A9E64C?q=Rubber Bulb

I've used it with dot 3, 4, 5.1 and 5 as well as battery acid, gas, stoddard, textile spirits and lacquer thinner. 

If you what to try one and can't get one or get it easily let me know. I'll get you one!

Yeah, one from a lab supply house would be a lot more resistant than one from Home Despot.

Well I did work for a chemical additive company for 39 years!:D perks,You know!

Edited by Last Indian

Not Eaglebrook?

No. Lubrizol, the world headquarters/R&D.

I am told the ride with the freshman "Princess" went very well. The car was back before just before I got home from work. I have not seen any photographs yet from the homecoming parade. Lucy is now put back into storage.

I may have Lucy out on last time to look everything over, otherwise she is put away for her long winter's nap.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Last Indian said:

No. Lubrizol, the world headquarters/R&D.

Wickliffe Ohio - between Euclid and Wiiloughby Hills off of I-90 - about 17 miles NE of Cleveland.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Wickliffe Ohio - between Euclid and Wiiloughby Hills off of I-90 - about 17 miles NE of Cleveland.

Yes! Lubrizol is in Wickliffe, but actually off RT-2, 90 & 2 split at the Euclid exchange, 90 goes a little South and 2 goes North. you can actually see what we call the oil can from RT-2 on the south side.

I've driven thru Wickliffe a couple of times on I-90 on my to and from Warren, PA. Of course, I don't remember a thing about it since it was well over 15 years ago.

On 10/17/2017 at 12:16 PM, Frosty said:

I've driven thru Wickliffe a couple of times on I-90 on my to and from Warren, PA. Of course, I don't remember a thing about it since it was well over 15 years ago.

It’s a little bit like Midland Michigan and Dow Chemical. Except Lubrizol is smaller and so is Wicklife!

10 hours ago, Last Indian said:

It’s a little bit like Midland Michigan and Dow Chemical. Except Lubrizol is smaller and so is Wicklife!

Touche.