Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1992 Grand Prix Progression

;)

Oh yes, rears will come, but they're a piece of cake compared to the fronts. I can piece them together over the winter in no time.

I just need to put a bit more money in my paypal and I can buy these! Fingers are crossed.

Quick edit: I'm thinking this ride height is about right.

IMG_0096.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:00 AM' post='40109']

Holy crap, that black GP looks nasty as all hell. Do want.

Inorite?

Turbo Grand Prix. They always look good.

3.1, though slightly reworked by ASC/McLaren. They were a very limited-production car only available in '89 and '90.

Ah, the LN0, IIRC. That's what I was thinking of. Those turbo manifolds are canabalized all the time for 60*V6 turbo builds.

You can't wait? What about me!? I've been looking at the GP at its stock height pretty much my whole life! Granted, many of those years were spent not really caring about its height, but still. :D

Provided I can accumulate all of the parts (Front and rear) in time, I'd love to lower it over my Christmas break-waiting until spring is just too long.

The process of aquiring the parts for the coilover conversion has begun! Most of the parts I'll need have now been purchased, and I get to play the waiting game. Below is the starting setup for the Grand Prix. Over time, I'm sure I'll experiment and refine it a bit, but this is basically the starting point from which I can progress.

The items in bold text are those that have been purchased already. (Edit: Bold and coloured, bold white was not a clear enough difference)

Front:

OEM '88-'93 knuckles

Overkill Engineering Motorsports camber/caster adjustable coilover plates

Top hats

VW struts (Scirocco, of all cars)

425lb coilover springs (12", 2.5" inner diameter)

Coilover sleeves

Coilover adjuster nuts

Torrington bearings

Rear:

KYB GR2s

Energy Suspension spring isolators

Coilover sleeves

Coilover adjuster nuts

300lb coilover springs (12", 2.5" inner diameter)

Stock strut mounts

The next item on the agenda after this is the front strut bar. My current piece will not work with front coilovers, so I'll have to find another, or possibly even go the custom route. I'm not worried though, the temporary loss of a strut bar is a fair trade-off for coilovers.

Your car is beautiful. Truly. I love the attention to detail you have! Keep up the good work and don't lose the passion :(

I'm excited to see how she looks with the coilovers! Mmm.

Thanks guys!

Well, thanks to a couple of members on another forum, I now have a replacement driver's mirror. Mine was smacked on our garage door frame over the summer and as a result one of the three mounting studs was snapped in half. The mirror was still firmly in place and didn't move while driving, but there was obvious play when it was pulled by hand. This replacement was found in a junkyard by a US member, handed over to a Canadian member, and then shipped to me. Forums are very useful. ;)

The pictures below were all taken with either an iPod or Blackberry, so they're not the highest quality.

GPmirror1.jpg

GPmirror2.jpg

GPmirror3.jpg

Even though it's already Bright White it'll get repainted anyway, but it's at least cheaper than a brand new (Probably reproduction now, not OEM) mirror would be.

• 2 weeks later...
This replacement was found in a junkyard by a US member, handed over to a Canadian member, and then shipped to me.

thats so cool and the stuff I love to see. :lol2:

Yeah, that sounds worse. :rofl:

Yup. It was my fault, but the guy with the Audi was cool about it, mainly because I think nothing was wrong with his car. :lol2: I threw him $15 for touch up paint, and that was that. Luckily I have my sources, and I nabbed a mirror for $20, and had it painted for $35. I win. :lol2:

You do win! :lol2:

Here's the latest on the Grand Prix;

Last week the first coilover parts arrived, from a couple of sources.

P1030858edit.jpg

In the bigger box, were 12", 425lb coilover springs for the front. These came from a member on another forum.

P1030861.jpg

The smaller box contained my Energy Suspension rear spring isolators.

P1030860.jpg

I have also ordered more parts which should be here any day now, hopefully.

Along with getting the pieces above, I also was able to finally get my replacement mirror apart. One of the screws was rusted in place and put up a very good fight. I intend to use just the shell of this mirror (Especially now that half of a screw is still rusted in the threads of the motor case) and swap it in place of the existing piece, as that's the only part that's damaged. It will get a repaint first though.

P1030923.jpg

P1030924.jpg

More news as it happens.

Is there going to be enough room to go as low as you like with 12" springs?

I went with 10" springs due to GP guys being limited to the 12"ers they were using as far as drop goes. Your front assembly looks like it has even less room to work with.

They were also saying the length of the 12" spring was allowing flex and strut rubbing duting turns.