Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1992 Grand Prix Progression

I would really like to see a polished lip on the wheels. I know black with a polished lip on a white car works well because of aweb's GP.

Here's the fast and dangerous way to do that:

If you do add some camber to the front, I would add the same to the rear and space accordingly. Cars usually look better with the same or a touch more camber in the rear.

Can't wait till the coilovers are on!! Seriously.. can. not. wait. haha.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new Scion tCs (insert puke smiley) they are so ugly imo :picard:

I could see you rocking a colbalt SS S/C, or ION redline S/C ;)

• Founders

A new Scion tCs (insert puke smiley) they are so ugly imo :picard:

I could see you rocking a colbalt SS S/C, or ION redline S/C :rofl:

;)

The new tCs are more boxy, don't like them at all.

...Can't wait till the coilovers are on!! Seriously.. can. not. wait. haha.

hold yourself together man!! :rofl: you must wait. :lol:

I don't think selling it is on his list of options. I just hope that poor Judge is salvageable from the darn rust. My roommate is having a ridiculous number of rust problems with his 95 Beretta right now, and he loves Betty just like you love your Judge. He wants to drive her 'til she's dead, but the problem is he doesn't want her to die. (I don't blame him- she's gorgeous, rusty blemishes aside.) If only we all had endless money to pursue our car-loving dreams with. Sigh.

Good luck with Judge. I hope the damage isn't too bad to be (affordably) saved.

It's time for me to update this, I see I've got some posts to respond to!

First up, usual tidbits of what's happened lately. Our weekly meets are back in full swing now that hockey's over, and pics are up from last Wednesday's. The GP's there, and I am too. :lol:

http://www.illmotion.com/2011/06/im-weekly...et-june-22.html

It was also time for Car of the Quarter on my w-body forum, so I entered the GP, though I didn't win. I haven't updated the mod list in this build thread so I figured I'd copy over my entry directly from the other forum.

1992 Grand Prix SE Sedan

-148,300 kilometers (~92,000 miles)

-Bright White/Garnet Red cloth/3.1L MPFI

JudgebyJHoang.jpg

Exterior/Lighting:

-OEM optional side skirts

-OEM optional rear lip (Black)

-OEM '88-'91 base model tail lights

-Yellow vinyl tinted fog lights

-'Iron' vinyl tinted brake lights

-Matte black vinyl beltline trim

-Colour-coded side reflectors

-FTW side diffusers

-Matte black vinyl license plate recess/front bumper accents

-Halo Solaris Yellow fog light bulbs

-Halo Super White LED license plate lights

Interior:

-OEM tape deck

-Alarm

-Broadway 270mm rear view mirror

-OEM push-button trunk release

-OEM red courtesy lights

-Carbon fiber vinyl wrapped rear view mirror

Engine/Bay:

-K&N filter

-Magnaflow catalytic converter

-Tucked headlight harnesses

Chassis:

-OEM 3.4L Cutlass convertible front strut bar

-AWeb rear strut bar

-Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines

-OEM Grand Prix coupe Crosslaces (16x8 +25) custom painted satin black

-215/60R16 Goodyear Eagle GTs

Restoration:

-Rebuilt gauge cluster

-Rust removed, brand new driver's door, though car retains almost all of its OEM paint.

And now to answer the replies that have been posted!

wow. I don't even know what I would go with and it's not even my car! :lol:

It's a toughie.

I would really like to see a polished lip on the wheels. I know black with a polished lip on a white car works well because of aweb's GP.

Here's the fast and dangerous way to do that:

If you do add some camber to the front, I would add the same to the rear and space accordingly. Cars usually look better with the same or a touch more camber in the rear.

Can't wait till the coilovers are on!! Seriously.. can. not. wait. haha.

You're reading my mind pretty much. Identical camber front and rear would be awesome in my opinion, and I've been planning on rear spacers to take advantage of any clearance between the tires and quarter panels.

I've still got to try the time attack stripes with the vinyl I picked up, but nothing is being done on the car currently aside from cleaning it. (And I don't feel like losing a finger by trying anything like what is shown in that video. I like having all 10, thank you. :lol: )

A new Scion tCs (insert puke smiley) they are so ugly imo :o

I could see you rocking a colbalt SS S/C, or ION redline S/C ;)

:lol:

The new tCs are more boxy, don't like them at all.

I <3 the new tCs. I've seen some modified ones and in my opinion look really good. Though, even at their $21K-ish price, they'd only come into the picture if the GP is gone completely.

hold yourself together man!! :slap: you must wait. :lol:

I don't like waiting either! I want low. :lol:

Don't sell it ! It'll never get treated this way again... :(

I don't think selling it is on his list of options. I just hope that poor Judge is salvageable from the darn rust. My roommate is having a ridiculous number of rust problems with his 95 Beretta right now, and he loves Betty just like you love your Judge. He wants to drive her 'til she's dead, but the problem is he doesn't want her to die. (I don't blame him- she's gorgeous, rusty blemishes aside.) If only we all had endless money to pursue our car-loving dreams with. Sigh.

Good luck with Judge. I hope the damage isn't too bad to be (affordably) saved.

Sadie has it right. Selling is not on the list of outcomes for Judge. I would never let it go to someone just so that I could see it on the roads with a new owner, probably being used as a beater. Also, it's not really the cost that's the concern, it's the spread of the rust and the time that would be needed to repair it.

As of right now I'm semi-seriously browsing Kijiji and flipping through Auto Traders to see what's available. Ideally I'd pick up something to take over as winter/bad weather car, and then use the coming winter to tear down Judge and get everything fixed properly. So far for the known rust, all of the doors and most of the interior have to come off and out in order to have access to cut, weld, and paint the areas. That's not exactly a weekend job, and I can't borrow our truck and leave my mother without a car for weeks on end while I'm going to and from work or campus. The first challenge is getting 'approval' from my parents, as we have four cars and a trailer, and a two-car garage and a trailer pad. This would result in two cars outside, and that'd get crowded. Financially, it makes sense as I'll be fixing rust every year it seems as long as Judge sees our winters. Already I'm noticing what appears to be rust on the quarter panel that was just fixed last year-ONE winter, and it's rusting again. This is getting ridiculous. ;)

So in a nutshell, the biggest challenge is coordinating the pickup of a new car so that I can actually take the GP off of the roads and fix it, if it can be. Getting a winter car is the major step in saving Judge, as without it I'm stuck driving it summer and winter.

• Founders

I <3 the new tCs.

:o

I think you need to stop hanging out with that other car club of yours, they're messing with you :lol: jk

I just hate the boxy look and the size, going to a tC after a G6 would be painful, let alone being an import. That will never end up in my garage.

Dont forget its a toyota and there brakes dont work and there gas pedel sticks! :o

' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:02 PM' post='56033']

Older tC's don't bother me...the new gen, kill it with fire.

$21K loaded up? Feh, you're better off getting a Kia Optima turbo for 26K. :agreed:

Chris and his Kia love. Sigh.

Or, Bill, you could be like me with two summer cars and no winter car :picard: No, that's a bad life choice.

Dont forget its a toyota and there brakes dont work and there gas pedel sticks! :lol:

But I know how to shift to neutral and/or turn the car off. :lol:

That's arguably better than the endless issues W-bodies have anyway. :)

Pricing out the tC, it'd be $23K the way I want. Meh. Oh and Chris, whenever I see an Optima Turbo I think of you.

The Kijiji hunt is still on, with my main searches being for EK Civic hatchbacks, DC Integras, B5 A4s, and 1st and 3rd-gen W-body Grand Prixs.

B5 Audis are win. I keep seeing B5 S4's getting cheaper...I'd rock the shit outta one.

EK Civics are the only Civics that interest me. I'd love one for a full blown Auto-X car.

Today on my lunch break I drove out to the body shop that the GP went to for round one of rust repair. I went to start the process of getting a quote for having nearly ALL of the rust fixed at once so that I can have something to work from for determining the car's future. Pictures and notes were taken, and now I'm just waiting to hear back with a price. There's no way to avoid the obvious, it WILL be massive. It will dwarf 2010's bill.

Meanwhile, I've been researching the tCs more (Sorry guys! :rofl:) and even quickly stopped by the local dealer tonight to see a couple that were on the lot. I know the colour and options I want and the price for everything, so that option now has a price tag attached.

Now I wait for the estimate. A coworker and I were brainstorming ideas and outcomes and were estimating a decision point (Greater than X to repair- get a tC, less than-repair) but it won't be that simple.

I honestly have no idea what will happen until I have the estimate in front of me and can start working with that. This is a tough decision.

Good luck man. I hope the repair bill isn't too killer.

:rofl:

Keep us updated. I'm in terrible suspense! Hopefully the shop can work with you a little if nothing else, especially since you've been there before. Who knows though, it can be a cutthroat business.

Best of luck. My thoughts are with you and Judge!

The reason I went to them is not only because they did the work last time, but because it's the body shop of the dealership I worked at last summer so I know a lot of the staff, and the service manager has been a friend of ours since I was a baby (Really!).

I do know that no matter what, sending Judge to a shop will not be cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Meanwhile, the tC is still looking good...still day-dreaming about them. Maybe this weekend I can wander down to take a closer look at them.

CementtC2.jpg

Lowered, spacers, a-pillar vinyl removed, and a HD front lip. Done.

Today the estimate was emailed to me. This is for repairing nearly all of the rust at once (There were a couple of spots I left out of the initial estimate), and it's rather...

...low. Just shy of $3800. :angry: I was honestly expecting at least $10,000, so this is a big surprise.

Right off the bat, I see that it lists repairing the doors instead of replacing, and that alone saves about $2100 in parts. It's also assuming no further hidden damage, which is probably going to be found. Still, this is really low compared to what was expected. This is odd...

If it's really within this range though, it looks like Judge will be taken apart and put back together. Again. The next hurdle though is planning when to do so, and hopefully getting 'approval' from my parents (Remember, space is an issue now with four cars already) to get a new DD to use so that the GP can be retired from winter use, in an attempt to prevent this from becoming an annual event.

In other news, I'm still waiting on my dogbones (No thanks to Canada Post and their strike) and I may be able to finally get some rare OEM goodies to finish off the exterior.

$3800 isn't that bad at all. Too bad that costs more than the average 1st gen W-body GP. :angry:

Although...I'd buy a cheap DD to use while the GP goes under the knife. a 96-00 Civic would fit the bill. They're EVERYWHERE, and they're stupid cheap.

I'd love to simply drive the GP the rest of the summer and pull it apart in the winter to fix the rust. I was just checking for Civics again, though the car that had really caught my eye is no longer on Kijiji. It was a '93 GP sedan, and from the outside was an exact copy of how the '92 looked when I got it. Having twins would have been fun. :angry:

Finding a clean 5th gen GAGT is next to impossible where I live. They're highly neglected by the majority of owners on LI, and even though dealers clean them up nice, it doesn't fool me. :angry:

I looked at a few GAs as a second car...mainly from private sellers...good god, LI'ers can be such bullshit artists. They got mad when I called them on their BS. :rofl: