Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1968 Pontiac 400 Engine Block VIN number stamp sizes

I have two 1968 Pontiac 400 blocks and was checking the VIN numbers on both. One has a very tiny VIN number ( I measured 1/8" tall with calipers) and the other is about .2" tall. I did not check at what plant the blocks were stamped. Did Pontiac use VIN stamps of different sizes?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

John it would help if you had some pictures of your two blocks.

Pontiac cast all of their V8 blocks out of the Pontiac Foundry in Pontiac Michigan. So all the casting lettering should be consistent, ditto any stamped numbers at the engine plant (also in Pontiac) unless the motor was pulled for a special order or engineering experiment/engineering order car. So in some very extraordinarily rare cases, the assembly plant could have re-stamped the engine. Which I doubt is the case here.

Are you trying to determine if one of these blocks is the numbers matching block to your car? If so, refer to the chart below. The numbers you are looking for are located on the front of the block, on the passengers side, at the bottom near the timing cover.  It should start with "2" for Pontiac, the next letter indicates the assembly plant the car was built at, and the last 6 digits should match the last six digits of your vehicles VIN #.

2011-11-06_063602_clip_image001.jpg

Here are a couple of videos that might help identify your blocks.

There are two stamp pads on the front of the engine block. On one side you have a nine digit number that starts with a "2" (for Pontiac) with the remaining eight digits being the last eight numbers of the cars VIN. This is a pic from my late great GTO...

photo7_zpsd24203e8.jpg

You can see they match the last eight numbers of the VIN (highlighted in yellow)...

Arrival9_28_2013042_zps44c1ab22.jpg

The pad on the other side of the front of the block has the engine production number and a two letter code that identifies the engine and the transmission (manual or automatic). Mine was a "WS" code for 400 HO/manual...

photo6_zps038829de.jpg