• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

8 hours ago, Last Indian said:

360, sorry, stupid me I forgot to write down your shipping info and I understand why it's gone. So if you can one more time please? I'll keep watch and let you know when I have it! My mistake!

Ill send it via PM sir, thank you again my friend.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Another show i missed...but i hope to have some videos i can send to ringo to post for me..LOL stay tuned! seriously tune yer stuff! LOL Onadaga or bust! 

IMG_5161[1].JPG

My buddy scotts car..we are running 

IMG_5280[1].mov

So, I'm gonna say this and I haven't had the opportunity to say this since I was blessed by Justa a couple of years ago.

I'M SPEECHLESS !!!

I got a box today that I wasn't expecting so soon, I opened the box to find not only a Craftsman timing gun but an added bonus that I've never held in my hands before or used but knew about and have been intrigued by how to properly use one. A dwell meter! Now most of you don't know this but may also have this newfound addiction....as I grow older, I find myself loving collecting old things like, car parts, signage, and OMG especially old tools! INDIAN? You've put a huge grin on my face and really made my weekend! I know its the simple things right? Now I am already geeked out by the timing gun but I'm over the moon with the original boxes and instruction manuals and patina on the items that you sent me. If anyone else is interested I'll post up pics of the Sears Roebuck box for the timing gun. Its all so very cool. I want to put it in glass display cases and put it on the wall!

Thank you Gary, you've gained a friend for life sir!

dwell%20and%20timing_zpsoutilvnt.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Joe Carrier! This is for you...what is it with Pontiac fanatics and their closet fascination with Corvettes? My daily driver!

IMG_2577_zpsjg0wsdlb.jpg

Daaaamn! nice car rocket! Dont let my pics fool ya though i cant afford a vette! LOL My buddy lets me cruise his...alone. He knows i only drive it like he is sitting next to me. But when he IS sitting next to me,well it is his Peer pressure pushing my right foot down LOL  

Way to go go Gary! thats what THIS site is all about! well done sir! 

"indymanjoe in joe carrier clothing LOL" 

Randy you are not alone i find myself with a love of old tools and craftsmanship. Look at the chrome on that light! Bakelight knobs heavy duty shop stuff! Tools you can pass on to the younger generations. Of course nowadays they dont need them. 

• Like 1

Sadly nowadays Joe, they aren't interested in them.

360 that is so cool!! thanks for sharing, great to see it in action again!!

Car is still running like crap but I am closing in on it. So with some research I've learned that my HEI between vacuum and mechanical is accounting for a total of about 35 degrees advance. With an initial timing of now 12 degrees a total of 50+ degrees of timing. Way too much. So I have capped off the vacuum advance and the car is running much stronger and I heard no pinging. I still don't know total timing as the timing tape I applied the other day fell off somehow on my way to work today. I need to get a new tape to confirm total timing and then the idle mixture screws and idle itself is kicking my ass. I'm trying to set those using a vacuum gauge with no luck so far.

Edited by 360Rocket

This is so awesome to watch. Two guys you've never met each other. helping one another out. I helped a good ol' boy today on the boulevard by loaning him a 3/8th drive extension so he could replace his wife's Cadillac's battery. I love to see automotive brotherhood in action. Well done gentlemen, well done! Pay it forward!

• Like 1

ouch ouch ouch, that's hard story to tell. So I "think" this will be an easy fix as soon as I get another timing tape sticker on the pulley. The car was running perfectly except for the top end pinging so now that I have discovered the HEI throwing so much advance at my total timing. I also will measure the diameter of my balancer to make sure I am using the correct timing tape as well. last fix I took the car for a quick spin and it felt real strong but when I shut it off and attempted to rerstart, it was struggling to start which should mean I have too much initial advance now. I hope to have it wrapped up sometime this week and then back on to restoring the bottom half of the car again. I'm also trying to get a bead on some 15X8 rally 2's for sale so I can widen the foot pattern on the back tires. Spinnin' ain't winnin' they say.

Well she's now dialed in to @36 to 38 degrees total timing and running fairly smooth. I tried to get it down to 32 degrees but I just couldn't get the engine to smooth out and give me a good idle. Feel like I got the idle mixture screws and idle where it needs to be. I need to let her completely sit and cool and then start it again to see how the cold start characteristics work out. I wouldn't think that the timing, or mixture screws would effect cold start and I wouldn't think I would need to re adjust the electric choke either? Thoughts?

Oh and I guess they don't make timing tape like they used to. after about 20 minutes of the engine running while I was tuning the tape melted and came flying off in 2 pieces. lol.

IMG_0405_zpsleeu9c3a.jpg

Edited by 360Rocket

360, sounds good, fingers crossed for cold start. Never used the tape, but I can see it would be a problem! 

This probably isn’t something you would want to do, but I mention it anyway. I always took my harmonic balancer off or bought a new one and then did the following. I would take the balancer chuck it up in a degree chuck, take a tool bit with a sharp point and then cut about .015 wide X .015 deep degree marks in the balancer. I would go up to 50 degrees. So you might find a local machine shop and see if they could do that.

Justa thought!?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1