Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Star Chief trunk light switch?

When I got my '54 I noticed the bulb was missing from the trunk. I put one in and it lit up. I can't for the life of me figure out how it turns off? I can't find a switch anywhere. I've tried every switch thinking it was located somewhere else.  I know I could install a manual one but I'm trying to keep the girl original. Until then, the bulb stays out. Any one have the same?

IMG_6503.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I was really looking and hoping for an easy answer here! haha...the trunk wire is bundled with the wires for the rear lights and I'm afraid they might go behind the headliner where the dome light is. The only way to follow it would be to rip down the headliner. Which I intend on doing further down the road anyway. I've got a couple other wiring issues which could be easier to find when the interior is ripped out and the dash is removed for paint. But thanks for trying!

I understand about the wires being bundled, but if the trunk did operate off a pin switch then locating where it is or was should be quite easy. That pin switch had to be in a location that sees a fixed point, I.E. stationary and a moving surface, I.E. deck lid, latch, hinge etc.

Some of the old trunk lights utilize a mercury switch to activate the light when lid is lifted.

Put your phone on video and lay it in the trunk. Close lid and see if it turns off.  OR you can use the wife in same manner and have something to talk about for the next couple days. :huh:

• Haha 1

I did the video check and the bulb stayed on with the trunk lid closed. Maybe the PO removed the mercury switch and never got around to installing a manual one? Maybe I'll never know unless another '54 Star Chief can chime in. Just another wiring conundrum to work on this winter. Thanks for the hints guys!