Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well finally some good news..Went and found my TDC again and didn't pay attention to timing marks it didn't start but popped a lot more then before then turned the dist 180 with the advance  a little more towards the firewall and tried starting and moved it a little more and poof she fired right up.Battery is drained some who ever had it before had a wall mart type in it so charging it and will fire it back up and set the timing in the morning ..

When you found TDC did you Mark the damper so that you know where TDC.. REALLY is in relationship to the timing tab ??.. You will not be able to set the timing accurately using the original Mark if it wasn't lined up at zero to begin with..... Because of wear and age.......

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Yes that was the first thing I did was to re mark it to the new timing line.Going to time it this afternoon since here in cleveland it is raining.Was actually how fast it started up wasn't perfect but sound pretty good..Thanks for all the tips..

Ok guys two more questions and I'll be out of your hair..Anyway got my timing set and sounds pretty after it has settled in.Now my questions are can I move my wiring around to kind of clean it some but staying in the correct firing order.And my Second question is can I move my vacuum advice position with out having to to actually lift the dist out or can I lift just enough to move it.The reason I am asking that is that the advance is close to firewall and with the HEI with coil inside the wiring is very close to the carb.

Hope this helps..as you can how close the advance is to the fire wall just hoping to be able to slightly lift the dist and turn advance closer to  engine. And the wiring in a better order as you can see in pic 1 turnning the dist also turned the wiring.

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

Looks like what you might need to do is find TDC again....pull the distributor unhook all the wires off the cap...with the dist out put the cap on it..Orient the vacuum diaphram where you want it...you can use any terminal on the cap that you want as #1...when you decide which terminal that you want to use as #1 put a Mark on distributor base in the center of where that particular terminal is when the cap is installed...remove the cap reinstall distributor with the rotor pointing toward the position where #1is going to be...when the distributor drops in the rotor should be pointing close to the Mark you made on it...the rotate the base so that the Mark is right at the leading edge of the contact on the rotor...Shouldn't have to move very much.... tighten holdown just right enough to turn by hand reinstall cap put wires back on in order starting with the #1.... With the Mark on the base lined up with the rotor as indicated the timing will be within a couple of degrees of the final setting......might have to move the rotor a tooth one way or the other to get it exactly where you want it.....to keep vacuum diaphram where you want it and lined up with #1

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

I thought I could put the wiring were ever I needed as long as I kept the firing rotation in order.And was hoping that I could by just lifting the dist a little but might be more trouble then just taking it out doing it that way.Like to just move my advance more towards the engine and the dial it in which should give me more room.