Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Prof's shopping nightmares

Professur

Ok, taking opinions. '94 Firebird 3.4 needing a timing chain, or a 87 Sunbird turbo needing a head gasket.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I second the choice on the Firebird. You know parts will be more readily available for it.

Not to mention it should out handle the Uplander. Just doesn't seat as many.

Edited by Frosty

Run from the Sunbird and fast.  They could be fun little cars if GM got the engine head issues sorted out but they did not. 

Well, had to pull a 180 on this. The cottage's roof is pissing. Seems like the entire 40' length of shingles decided to walk off the job over winter. First time up there this weekend was spent pulling down ceilings and bagging wet fibreglass. I need a truck. So, I found one. '98 GMC Sierra 5.0 Some minor rust on the rear cab corners, pulsing brake pedal and the AC needs recharged. And an O2 sensor throwing a code. $1200 cdn. Picking it up tonight. Rental of a similar truck would be about $100/day so it'll pay for itself long before all the repairs are done. Found rotors and pads for $75/kit on Amazon with free shipping if I'm willing to drive to plattsburg to pick it up.

Wow! I didn't see that one coming.

However, the utility of owning a pickup can't be under stated. It can do some things soooooo much better than a minivan. We used the hell out of my Avalanche - especially when we moved.

Is this a two-door, extended cab, or four door crew cab pickup?

So how bad is the cottage at this point?

2 door extended. Seats 6, and it's pretty low, while still having a step. I'd really hoped it was the 3-door, but t'was not. Once I had the ceilings down, it started raining again, and it looked like an upside down Las Vegas fountain. It's an old plank roof, and where it leaked in, it was a solid stream of water. Fortunately as it's planks, they probably won't need to be replaced. Plywood would certainly be blown. The celings were impregnated fibreboard and probably would have survived if not for the insulation holding the water against it instead of it just evaporating.

Hey, maybe now's the time to look at skylights.

Is any of this covered by insurance? Is there extensive water damage to the floors, walls, or furniture at this point too?

I doubt the insurance would cover it as I can't prove the age of the shingles. I'd thought they were redone when the last renovations were done and a modification was made to the front peak, but given the clusterfuck that guy left behind, all bets are off. Fortunately it looks like it's only the old ceilings that took damage. Walls are either plank or 1970's era paneling. Floors are 1950 planks with outdoor carpet over it, but the water only made it through in one area.  If my math is right, the roof (that side) should be 40x11 or so. I suspect I'm guestimating short, but I just need ballparks at this point. That's 440 sqft. A pack of shingles is supposed to cover 33sqft. Rounding up and leaving a lot of slop around the edges, 15 packs should cover it. (I'd have thought it would need a lot more than that). At $25/pack that's about $375 for shingles. A roll of tar paper, and one of that membrane stuff for the bottom edge to protect against ice dams. It's a straight roof face with no valleys so me and the boys should be able to knock this out in a weekend provided they can stand the height. I'll probably have to take care of the leading edge myself tho.

Ok, got it, got it plated and insured, and got it home. The owner put 20 bucks of gas in it after I test drove it last night. Who does that? He drove me to the licence bureau (his neck of the woods), then his son put the new plate on and installed the tonneau cover while I was on hold with the insurance. Since I was dropping the jeep at the same time as adding this truck, my insurance is now lower that before. But, the gov hit me for $100 gas guzzler penalty for the V8. The olds and parisienne were old age exempt ... this girl isn't.

I mentioned a check engine code for an O2 sensor .. it was still there this evening, but miracle of miracles ... it cleared itself during the 45 minute drive home. I've heard legends of check engine lights clearing themselves ... but expected to see a unicorn first. With the exception of a horribly soft brake pedal and rotor warp .. no way would I believe this thing is almost 20 years old. Drives silent and smooth, city and highway. A little grabby shifting between first and second if you're light on the gas. First order of the day is a 4 wheel brake bleed to purge what must be original fluid. I believe it has ABS ... anyone have advice to share before I start cracking bleeders?

Pics forthcoming

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase..I too have experienced the O2 sensor self clearing..Would run a tank of high quality gas thru it.. may not come back..Would definately give the rear wheel brake cylinders a thorough inspection other than rotors sounds like you might be good to go...One other thought check all the connections at the oxygen sensors could be bad ground or something...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 2

Congrats Pro!

I concur with Two Lane and give the entire brake system a thorough once over. Check the brake and fuel lines for rust and rot too. This model even had a recall for rotors that would crack from defective forgings. I'd also replace the fuel filter just for good measure. You might want to get some fuel injector cleaner/gas system cleaner. 104+ Octane Boast just came out with a new fuel injector cleaner (called Fuel Injector Pro) that is suppose to really clean up injectors and the fuel system....its available on Amazon. Basic tune up (plugs/wires) is probably on your list too, I imagine.

Any electrical gremlins that you've noticed beyond the O2 sensor/Check Engine Light?

You going to check/drain/flush the tranny fluid and replace the tranny filter to see if it improves that grabbiness you mentioned? 

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

I totally understand the current priorities.

My, didn't fate take this thread totally into the weeds? Far cry from a Firefly now isn't it?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTA6 said:

A man N his truck is a wonderful thang.:D

It is indeed. I still miss the Avalanche from time to time, but the Denali hauls ass since it is smaller and lighter and they both have the 5.3L in it.

Did I mention that I am now the president of the GMC Truck Chapter of POCI? It takes effect next week - after the POCI convention in Texas.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Wait ... you're hinting that I need to join, aren't ya?

Drove it to work this morning ... might be a little slipping in first. That would explain the grab in second. I'll have to watch that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Professur said:

Too much time on your hands.

BTW son #1 has already put claim to the truck for when he gets his licence.

Yes I do and not enough cash.

Good for the kid. Beats inheriting an Uplander.

3 minutes ago, Professur said:

Flipping through the POCI store .. not a lot of GMC merchandise in there.

No not really. What are you looking for? Anything in particular?

Edited by Frosty

I'll say this for it. Last week I rented a 2016 F-250 4x4 from U-haul ... This is so much nicer. Honestly ... I stole this thing. I'd expect to see this truck going for $4000 easy. A shop would do all the rust repair for under a grand, add another grand for paint (it's pretty close to british racing green). I said to my son as we drove away from the Firefly ... no way does so many things work against you unless something's pushing. I've learned to listen to that push over the years. It's never steered me wrong so far ... looks like whatever it is, it's still got my back.

30 minutes ago, Frosty said:

No not really. What are you looking for? Anything in particular?

Mostly just looking ... since POCI doesn't have a G in it anywhere I was curious as to how much GMC there was. Only thing I really want at the moment is a GMC keychain. I've so many car keys it's important to help identify which key goes where. And since I keep ALL my keys even after a car's long gone ... that can be important. I've had 4 dodge colts ... 3 of which the keys all look identical. This truck's keys are the same as my old Transport. The olds, the parisienne and my old Celebrity of long ago all have identical keys. Mum's Honda and my daughter's Sentra  are easy to divide ... but mum had an earlier Sentra too. I don't have a spare for the missus's Sonic. It's probably something like $400 to get one made.

• Like 1