Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

nac46

1962 Catalina Frame Repair

Question

1962 Catalina frame has rust through forward of driver's rear wheel where frame ties into lift pad. Slight creak when moving car. Is there any way to repair the area? Otherwise car, is good. Thank you.

9 answers to this question

Anything can be repaired..The question is..Is it economically viable to do so..Chances are if it's that bad in that particular area the rest of it is probably not much better..Just hasn't rusted completely thru all the way  yet..in other places ...Am not trying to be negative here..just realistic..At the very least to do it right. Would probably have to seperate the body from the frame and place on a jig..Which would require you find a shop that would have a frame jig for the GM X frame..Or maybe make one for it..after that Would require someone with excellent metal working skill to execute the repair..(expensive) If you just try to patch it while still under the car in that place the results will be less than optimal..Don't know if anyone remanufactures those frames or not .. Might be able find a rust free straight replacement somewhere..which would probably the best solution..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thank you. Car is totally operational and serviceable. We being veterans know what that means. Can't do a body off due to cost and will most likely weld a new patch over area. BTW, it has a perimeter, not X frame, so should be "simpler". Thank you again for the advice! 

I'll say this flat out .. liability. 99% of bodyshops will refuse to touch this type of work simply because of the liability issue. If cost is an issue, you need to stop right now. Safety is the first and only issue. If your frame is rusted through forward of the rear wheel, it's neither operational nor serviceable. As Black Top said .. if it's rusted through in that location, you've lost a lot of strength to rust in other places too. You don't measure metal strength with an eyeball.  And if you're caught with a frame patch and don't have a welder's certification to prove it was done right, you're looking at a world of trouble. Depending on your location, possibly even jail time. Not kidding on that ... I have that first hand from investigating the legality of frame repair on a Jeep YJ I had. I could weld on it all I like ... for off road use. Any frame repair (anywhere) would need to pass a DOT inspection for road worthiness. They won't even perform the inspection without proof of certification on the welder's part.

There's a reason replacement frames cost so much ... the liability insurance and certification requirements.

And a word of advise from someone who'd been there. If your frame is rusted that badly ... your hard brake lines aren't far behind.

• Like 1

Appreciate the great advice from both of you!

Here is a list of wrecking yards that specialize in older Pontiacs or older cars in general that may have a low rust replacement frame if you want to keep the car.

https://www.eastwestautoparts.com/

http://www.gmsports.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/481412125313585/ - Indiana Pontiacs Facebook page only

http://www.dvap.com/

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/

Edited by Frosty

Most appreciated!

Let us know what you decide to do.

If you decide to fix the car, open a new thread in the progess area and keep us up-to-date. We are always happy to help.

Excellent! Your "things to ponder" make me want to "ponder".:)

Ok, so I received several responses to my frame repair inquiry of last year. This is an update. Had frame professionally repaired. Watched as they were completed. No issues thus far.

thx