Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

hi ...folks ? would a 68 firebird speedometer fit in a 67 lemans cluster or if someone has 67 lemans speedo for sale ...thanks from across the pond 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Are you looking for a '67 Lemans speedometer? A speedometer from a '66 or '67 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans, or GTO will fit your car. There are the same exact car.

I would have to look up the part numbers between the '67 Lemans and '68 Firebird speedometer to answer your question definitively. My first reaction is probably not since GM was not that forward thinking back in the day. The part numbers will tell me that though.

The nice thing is that there are plenty of repair services to fix your existing speedo, or aftermarket replacement gauges to replace it with a new gauge that are available via the internet. The A-body platform has a ton of support available for it.

hey thanks for replying FROSTY...that would be great , if you could find out ...or know wher i could get fixed ? i tried ames they want you to buy the whole cluster gauges and all ? cheers 

hello JUSTA6... that,s awesome of you ..mine is stripped on the inside can,t get head too attach ..thanks very much...appreciate ...cheers

Clarification for both you and JUSTA6.

Is your speedo in MPH or KPH? The majority of speedos  (and therefore cars) were built for the US and where in MPH. However those built for Canada or limited overseas export would have been likely in KPH.

So if there is a choice between a MPH or a KPH, which should he pick up? Realistically, the MPH will probably the only ones available, but I felt the need to point that out.

hello good call... didn,t think they came in kph in1967 ... think we didn,t change over to metric until the late 70,s or real early 80,s remember being in school at 14 or 15 and it changed still can,t figure it out .. thanks to are AHOLE prime minister pierre truduea, now we have his son as PM ... thanks for the thought ...thumbs up ...

the car is from ALABAMA ... i,m 3rd owner...:)

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Clarification for both you and JUSTA6.

Is your speedo in MPH or KPH? The majority of speedos  (and therefore cars) were built for the US and where in MPH. However those built for Canada or limited overseas export would have been likely in KPH.

So if there is a choice between a MPH or a KPH, which should he pick up? Realistically, the MPH will probably the only ones available, but I felt the need to point that out.

Good point, forgot about that Frosty.  Figure anything for my 66 GTO will fit.

I agree it will fit.  I am betting you will only find a MPH speedo. So if he needs a KPH gauge, then he will have to pay someone to re-do the face and re-calibrate it to kilos. That is why I asked the question to both of you.

hey folks ...don,t need a kph ...speedo ....just looking for a mph speedo that will fit the 67  lemans cluster ....thanks again ..cheers

If you haven't already, reach out To Peter he is IMHO the go-to guy for gauge parts & service.

http://precisionpontiac.net/Rally_Gauges.aspx 

• Like 1

Frosty & Justa6, question, it's been quite a few years since I rebuilt a old style magnet drive speedos, but back I the day when I did I seem to recall all GM speedo guts, behind the face plate were the same no matter the year, make, etc. the attaching screw locations in the faceplates simply oriented it in the proper position on the speedo guts. That said those were all still close in relationships. I.E. Camaro, Firebird, Nova, Venture, Apollo, and so on, did that not hold true across the rest of the lines?

3 hours ago, SPRINT 6 said:

If you haven't already, reach out To Peter he is IMHO the go-to guy for gauge parts & service.

http://precisionpontiac.net/Rally_Gauges.aspx 

thanks for the tip ...i,ll see what justa6 finds out . in the meantime will definately have a look ...cheers

14 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Frosty & Justa6, question, it's been quite a few years since I rebuilt a old style magnet drive speedos, but back I the day when I did I seem to recall all GM speedo guts, behind the face plate were the same no matter the year, make, etc. the attaching screw locations in the faceplates simply oriented it in the proper position on the speedo guts. That said those were all still close in relationships. I.E. Camaro, Firebird, Nova, Venture, Apollo, and so on, did that not hold true across the rest of the lines?

Good question,  I've never had one apart.

15 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Last Indian, in many respects you are correct. Most of the gauges back in the day were made for all the GM divisions by AC Spark Plug Division in Flint Michigan. I worked there as well as my father. So the gauge assemblies were similar, but were built on separate, dedicated make/model assembly lines since each physical gauge or cluster was a different size/shape. This means different part numbers.

Now that said, is the spinning magnet speedo assembly behind the face plate the same? Hmm...good question. I will have to research that one. You could be right. Given the variety of car and truck clusters I suspect there might have been a handful of different models for different reasons. The assemblies may look the same but they could be slightly different internally. Space/packing in the dash would be one reason. MPH vs KPH might be another. I will have to do some checking

The pot metal part that is in hand is the guts. The plastic housing is the part that’s relative to make & model. It carries the odometer numbers cluster, which again when you dismantle that plastic assembly those pieces are interchangeable to other makes and models, or at least they were as I recall. I only ask because in my recollection, most of the failures were the mag drive tiny brass bearing, similar to a clock type mechanism.

7C8F730A-8301-40E3-9178-AE23A6994267-178-00000061E5FD6808.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

The pot metal part that is in hand is the guts. The plastic housing is the part that’s relative to make & model. It carries the odometer numbers cluster, which again when you dismantle that plastic assembly those pieces are interchangeable to other makes and models, or at least they were as I recall. I only ask because in my recollection, most of the failures were the mag drive tiny brass bearing, similar to a clock type mechanism.

7C8F730A-8301-40E3-9178-AE23A6994267-178-00000061E5FD6808.jpeg

I agree that the odometer assemblies were interchangeable, that was intentional and just makes sense. The mag drive/guts section I think maybe slight different for some minor engineering reasons. That is the part I need to do some checking on. In general, I agree with you, these SHOULD be the same but I suspect there were a handful of different ones. I need to check to see what they were and why first.

Out of curiosity, the pictured speedo you are holding in your hand (I am assuming it is you), does it have any part numbers on it? They should be between 7-10 digits long.

Frosty sorry, that’s not me, pulled it of the third gen Camaro site and then labeled it. I never took pictures of my work in those days of racing and building and I rarely let my picture be snapped. The one in ground pounder thread in my 69 is one of the few. And all the stock I once had I disposed of when I ended that era of my life.

No worries Last Indian. That's not a problem. I think I have an old GM parts cross reference book from '73 buried somewhere. That will be my starting point. However, I have to work a special car cruise tonight, so I won't have time today. It's Thin Blue Line / Public Safety Appreciation night. Time to honor the police, fire, emergency/EMT, and 1st responders in our area

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Frosty said:

No worries Last Indian. That's not a problem. I think I have an old GM parts cross reference book from '73 buried somewhere. That will be my starting point. However, I have to work a special car cruise tonight, so I won't have time today. It's Thin Blue Line / Public Safety Appreciation night. Time to honor the police, fire, emergency/EMT, and 1st responders in our area

Sounds like a noble, noteworthy cause. Enjoy!

On 6/5/2017 at 1:04 PM, scarlit said:

hello JUSTA6... that,s awesome of you ..mine is stripped on the inside can,t get head too attach ..thanks very much...appreciate ...cheers

So the HEAD is stripped?  From Frosty and Last Indian ( who know alot more about this than I do) Looks like you can interchange parts if needed.  Next up....Whats a fair price if I can find a single speedo?  Whatcha guys think?  Esp you Scarlit, whats the max your willing to go?  I can wheel N deal from there on the best price.

Tough question because of what you might find. You will find either the speedometer outright or the entire gauge cluster. If you find the cluster, I suspect the owner wants to sell it as a unit and not part it out. Trying asking anyway - it can't hurt.

I'd offer a max of $50 for the speedo itself (start at $10 and see if they take it). If it is a take-it-or-leave-it deal on the cluster,  $100-150 depending on if it is just the gauge cluster or it includes the surrounding faux wood grain dash and the condition everything is in.

Last Indian - your thoughts?

Hello, you guys are great , thats awesome ... i,ll go along with my banker / manager on that ....lmao ....i,ll just trust your judgement Justa leave it in your capable hands... if it crazy stupid $$$ don,t worry about it ,i,ll check out the site SPRINT 6 sent and go from there ...thanks again ... good luck ...cheers   

Thanks for your morale support on this one scarlit. We know that we have to find one at a reasonable price - not to mention the cost of shipping it across the pond once we find one.