Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 convertible.  It was my 5th new Pontiac Convertible and I love it. It is in great running order, and I have maintained it perfect. However I have encountered a problem with a failed sensor in the top mechanism, which also controls the trunk accessibility.  My dealer could not find the part, and  I have contacted over 100 part companies - many of which show on-line as having the part - but they do not.   GM has been zero help.  It occurred to me this morning that GM likely bought the sensors from a third party - and if I could figure out who they are, maybe I could get one from them.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Is the sensor out of the car? Can you see or read any writing on it (besides the part number)? Often OEM part manufacturers put both their own logo or name on a part along with a GM / AC Delco logo on the part. So it could be a Delphi, Bosch, Packard Electric, Hitachi or some other third party. Having the GM part number does help a bit though. 

I see one listed on eBay with an asking price of $1,000.00. Wow! That's nuts IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Part-15815610-/331651122358?hash=item4d37f284b6:g:8hcAAOSwPcVVtLRN&vxp=mtr

Lastly, you might try calling your local junk yards to see if they have any wrecked G6 convertibles. It maybe possible to salvage the sensor from one of those cars for a lot cheaper money than this eBay asking price.

Well this is not a good start. According to GM Parts Direct, this part has been discontinued. 

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/15815610

According to GM Parts Direct:

"GM OEM PARTS

This item is a Special Order Part. Most special order parts will generally ship from our warehouse within 48-72 hours but may take up to 7-10 business days based upon their availability from General Motors before shipping from our facility in North Carolina. For parts availability questions please contact us at [email protected]."

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

I do not have the part out - but that is a great thought to look for the name.  I know about the eBay listing- there is no way - the part is less than $100.  Junk yard  is my final option - concerned about the condition given it is an electrical part.  I really appreciate your help! 

I understand your concern. With any junkyard part, it will be hit or miss. I personally would prefer to go to a yard that allows me to pick my own parts. Obviously that is not aways the case. However, you definitely want to avoid any cars that have roof damage unless they are your only choice.

Also, junk yard owners are quick to pick up on hot parts, so don't be surprised if they try to gouge you a bit on price too.

Have you looked at this Chevy dealership ?

http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/SWITCH-Folding-Top/47303484/15815610.html

• Like 1

Kay, I am not sure of where you live but here is a local (to me) example of a pick-your-own junk yard in Pontiac Michigan. In this case, it costs $2.00 just to enter the yard. 

https://www.u-pullandsave.com/inventory

2007 Pontiac G6 White          Stock# P04373    Vin# 1G2ZH35N77410159632

When you click the details button it shows that it is a convertible.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

We have a GM only parts warehouse called Schrams, I will check for your part tomorrow!  If they have it, I'll forward contact info.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

We have a GM only parts warehouse called Schrams, I will check for your part tomorrow!  If they have it, I'll forward contact info.

If Schrams don't have it.....you have A PROBLEM.  They said they are out, but get new stock all the time.  Here is a link to their site if that helps.

https://www.schramauto.com/

• Like 1

JUSTA - I think the real issue is that this part has been discontinued (from what I've read online) by GM. I have not found a superseded part number either. So whatever new old stock (NOS) is out there is what's essentially left, leaving us to find junk yard parts or pay a kings ransom for the NOS stuff - like the eBay price. You and I are seeing what Kay has been experiencing.

What's disappointing is the a Cadillac XLR (Caddy Corvette) has two convertible top position sensors and both are available. Both the G6 and XLR are hard top convertibles built at the same time. You'd think GM would use the same position sensor.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Kay, sorry for your dilemma! Unfortunately as far as getting the part from a dealership is concerned there aren’t any. A good friend is the parts manager for the largest GM dealership in the Tri-state area, I had him check and no dealer is showing stock.

First go to a NAPA store and see if they can cross reference the part to a Balkamp or Ecklin part.

That said I’m attaching a PDF and a print of the junction block this shows a wiring diagram for jumpering around the sensor. Depending on what you want to do, you could setup a momentary relay as a permanent fix if you plan to keep the car. 

Hope this can help.

69F3E747-EDAC-4E63-B8C2-BB08650674A0-539-0000006F36F7389E.gif

2011-10-04_031628_7.pdf

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

JUSTA - I think the real issue is that this part has been discontinued (from what I've read online) by GM. I have not found a superseded part number either. So whatever new old stock (NOS) is out there is what's essentially left, leaving us to find junk yard parts or pay a kings ransom for the NOS stuff - like the eBay price. You and I are seeing what Kay has been experiencing.

What's disappointing is the a Cadillac XLR (Caddy Corvette) has two convertible top position sensors and both are available. Both the G6 and XLR are hard top convertibles built at the same time. You'd think GM would use the same position sensor.

Schrams buys GM wrecks from Ins companys, other junkyards ect.  They also have 2 locations and U pull N save boasting over 4000 cars on a paved lot. (the old GM plant 51on Walton) So nice after years of wallowing in the mudd to get whacha need.  The Pontiac warehouse on Dixie Hwy is huge with most parts in bins or on racks. FYI  many used parts such as alternators, come with a lifetime warranty.  I use them quite a bit and they do have access to many new parts as well. Picked up the new fascia and grill parts for JustaG6 last fall before repainting the car.  They even threw in the new Pontiac emblem for the fascia.  And they were the cheapest to be found to boot. They get in new cars everyday and even sell complete front clips, or any parts you need.

Yes you would think they would use the same parts as the Caddy.  After working out all the build kinks for the G6 vert. Caddy pulled all our key ORION players to make the Caddy work.  

• Like 1

I could never thank all of you enough for the great suggestions and help you have so freely offered.  I had the same thought about the Caddy XLR - and had called a Caddy dealer to ask, only to be disappointed.  I have literally called over 100 parts/dealerships/repair shops etcetera.  Every single lead I get, I call on.  And I have spent the last 6 weeks on-line as well.  There are many, many websites claiming to have this part - and I have ordered from 17 of them.   I then get an email saying "sorry" we do not have this part.  (And I wait for 3-10 days to get my refund...)  Looks like a junkyard may be my only option - and I am willing to do what I have to do. 

I will come back to this site and let you all know how this comes out - and I thank you again from the bottom of my heart!  You guys are the best!

Thank you for the kind words Kay. Best of luck to you. I look forward to reading about your junk yard adventures. Be sure to take your camera or cell phone. We love pictures too.