Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Camshaft Idenitfication

I am trying to identify the manufacture of the camshaft that came out of a 1966 Pontiac Lemans 326. It is stamped with the following: Sp8 55, *** and E 1. Not having any luck searching the internet.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Are you looking for the cam manufacturer or perhaps more importantly, the camshaft profile?

I have a few other questions for you:

1. Do you believe this to be the original OEM camshaft or do you think it has been replaced at some point in its past?

2. Is your 326 the numbers matching engine to the car? If so, is it a two or four barrel carb engine (and is it going to stay that way)?

3. What transmission do you have in the car?

WIth the above information, there are printed reference materials that I (and others) can look up to find the original camshaft profile. With that profile, you can order a custom camshaft from most camshaft makers (assuming they don't already have it that profile).

Edited by Frosty

Original factory Pontiac camshaft is # 537441..1963 Thru 1970. All 326 engines including..HO..

Int duration

Lobe centerline...112.5...

1.50:1 ..= 374..

1.65:1 ... =.411..

( not really sure what above specs indicate)..Lift with rocker ratio possibly??

Exhaust side = DUR..277

Lobe Centerline = 113.5

1.50:1  = .410..

1.65:1 = .451 ..

Engine code located on front pass side.. Engine block.         Just below cylinder head..

WP =250..Horsepower..9.2:1 compression ratio

WR = 285..hp..HO ENGINE 10.7:1 compression ratio

YN = 250 hp 9.2:1 comp ratio

YP = 285..hp HO ENGINE 10.7:1 comp ratio..

Don't recognize #s stamped on your cam as related to any mfg...possibly a custom grind??

E1...possibly Erson ???????

Hope maybe this helps you...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

I am looking for the camshaft profile.

1. I believe this camshaft is a replacement since the engine it came out of was bored.

2.The engine is not the original and has a four barrel Holly carb.

3.The transmission is a 2 speed automatic.

Long story short the engine in my Lemans has a cracked block. I found a replacement 326 with a two barrel carb that came out of a 1967 Tempest with a two speed automatic transmission. I am rebuilding it and thinking of using Lemans intake and camshaft.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:35 PM, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Original factory Pontiac camshaft is # 537441..1963 Thru 1970. All 326 engines including..HO..

Int duration

Lobe centerline...112.5...

1.50:1 ..= 374..

1.65:1 ... =.411..

( not really sure what above specs indicate)..Lift with rocker ratio possibly??

Exhaust side = DUR..277

Lobe Centerline = 113.5

1.50:1  = .410..

1.65:1 = .451 ..

Engine code located on front pass side.. Engine block.         Just below cylinder head..

WP =250..Horsepower..9.2:1 compression ratio

WR = 285..hp..HO ENGINE 10.7:1 compression ratio

YN = 250 hp 9.2:1 comp ratio

YP = 285..hp HO ENGINE 10.7:1 comp ratio..

Don't recognize #s stamped on your cam as related to any mfg...possibly a custom grind??

E1...possibly Erson ???????

Hope maybe this helps you...

I will look into Erson and see what I find. Thank you for your help.