Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

computer parts curiosity

Ghost

how many active computer parts experts do we have? just have a question or two on a thing or two. and just curious to know.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I am dangerous....I project manager server hardware builds all the time. Gaming stations not so much. A buddy of mine is a serious gamer though. 

ok so first question: what puts the maximum size limit on RAM? is it the CPU, motherboard, OS or a combination of two or all? if it matters its my laptop and only poking around.

Mainly it is the operating system that is the most limiting factor because it is how much memory that the OS can physically address. 

Windows 7 32-bit OS is a max of 4 GB. Windows 7 64-bit varies on the OS version you purchased from Microsoft.

Starter: 8GB

Home Basic: 8GB

Home Premium: 16GB

Professional: 192GB

Enterprise: 192GB

Ultimate: 192GB

Under WIndows 10: for x86 the max is 4GB, for x64 it is 128GB or 2TB. Windows 8 has a 512 GB max limit for x64.

Edited by Frosty

192GB of RAM!? ok next one. of those mentioned, what limits the max speed of RAM?

Let's assume for a moment that you had RAM DIMMs that are rated to 2.4GHz, the same as your motherboard's clock speed. However your CPU processor (itself) is rated at only 1.6Ghz.

It is the combination of CPU and motherboard clock speed which limits RAM DIMM speed. Actual DIMM performance will only go as high as the lower of the two speed limits between the CPU and the motherboard.

So in this example, the CPU runs at 1.6 GHz, and the motherboard supports speeds up to 2.4GHz, but the DIMM's will go up to 1.6Ghz because that is how fast (in this case) the CPU can accept the data from the RAM (thru the motherboard). Conversely, if the motherboard was slower than the CPU, the motherboard's speed would be the limiting factor and the CPU would be waiting for data. 

Does that make sense?

Edited by Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

ok ok. and what is the best way to find out the specific motherboard that is in the laptop? and how can i find out the range of usable CPUs for it? its a Socket G2 i7 and im sure the max 2nd gen is fine. but the 3rd gens also used the G2. i found some better performing (obviously) 3rd gens which also bumps up the RAM size and speed. kinda why i want to find out motherboard specs but also curious on these 3rd gens.