Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Commuting to work

My morning commute..Climbing to work..Trying to weld in 35 MPH wind.. 200 ft. In the air..Everytime I struck an arc the wind would blow me out of position.

300 ft self supporting tower...Bradford PA..

4708.jpeg

4709.jpeg

4692.jpeg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Indeed. I will take my 15 minute door-to-door drive to work and let it be. Awesome job Two Lane.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Glad I'm retired.....NOT good with those heights.   How'd ya take that selfie when both hands are in the pic??

• Like 2

As far as towers go. A 300 ft. Tower is really not that tall..most cell towers that you see everywhere are generally between 200 and 300 feet of course they're always exceptions..to get an idea of the scale..the rectangular panel antennas (cell phones) you see on most towers are 10 ft tall by 2 ft wide..each individual antenna will handle 10,000 calls at one time transmitting and receiving usually 3 antennas per sector (alpha..beta..gamma) alpha sector always 0 degree azmith (north) most towers have more than one cellphone carrier on them Verizon..T Moble..AT&T etc..also local 911 services ..secret gov't stuff etc..Have been up as high as 2000 ft. To change out the strobes on local TV station here..Usually do that in the middle of the night..When there isn't as many people watching TV So the engineer's can dial back the output wattage of the antenna so the RF doesn't cook you from the inside out like a microwave oven..When you close to the antenna..Generally a TV antenna is a solid copper rod 4 ft. In diameter between 60 ft. and 100 ft.Tall.. Encased in fiberglass.. FM Antennas will cook you too .....The Empire state building..World trade center are only about 1100 feet tall..

• Like 2

For me the adrenaline rush is the same as driving your Pontiac 150 MPH down the road except it's legal and lasts for several hours..

I'm actually scared of heights too..Any rational person is..I am one of the few tower guys that will admit it..I just try not to look down too much..

Ton of respect for you, Two Lane! Cell towers are so ubiquitous that you don't even think about someone having to climb them to change out the strobe or antennas. Thanks for posting these pictures... I'll most certainly think about you and your fellow tower climbers whenever I pass one now. Great photos, btw. I took the liberty messing with a couple of them, hope you don't mind...

18519663_10209449158725741_2115179946710

4708.jpeg.ec1f2d05c76806ec30937dd47b6c40

Two lane, really really cool! You should tell these guys about the physical stamina it takes to climb straight up that way and high! For about 10 years one of my project was with wind turbines and some were built very similar to a column type cell tower like you’re showing. Although most of those are wrapped with a outer housing, which is a little less interesting as you climb since three quarters of the climb is in the pitch dark. Sorry to say I loved it! But I do have some Sioux blood, so maybe that’s it. 

• Like 1

I love it too..Definitely have to be physically fit that's for sure..Still glad I'm able to do it at 55 yrs old..Takes me about 20 minutes to climb a 300 ft. Tower to the top..Used to do be able to do it under 10 min..

• Like 1