Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

front brake caliper

Hi every body,

is anybody knows what kind of wrench and what size is needed to remove the two nuts of the front brakes calliper ?         Thank you.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The year, make and model of the vehicle you are working on would be helpful.

Now assuming it's for your 1994 Firebird, I think it requires a 3/8 Hex bit socket or Allen Wrench as the bolt is recessed into the caliper body. You probably want to have a C-clamp big enough to help retract the caliper piston too.

sorry, i did not specify the car. yes, it is for my firebird and i thank you for your answer. It was that i thought but i wanted to be sure because the precedent mechanic would not have the good wrench in inches and have damaging seriously the nuts......

here in France we have metrics........                                                              Thank you again. Have a good day.

• Like 1

The thing about the Firebird is some parts of the car are metric (10, 11, 12, 13, 15 mm) and some are still SAE sized (1/4, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, etc.). So you often need to have both sets of sockets and wrenches to take it apart and put it back together again.

• Like 1

Yes, it's often the same for my other american cars..!    So we manage as we can !  But this time the nuts are very damaged......  i am going to try this week with the 3/8 wrench i received to day.........  have a good week-end.

So; i am back  -as would say Schwarzy..!-   I have to change the hub and bearing assembly.   I have removed the 4 nuts who hang it but there is no way to take it off...   I think it is welded by time and hot. 

What do you think about it and is anybody has a trick to make it come ?         THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS !

DSCN6273.JPG

DSCN6274.JPG

DSCN6275.JPG

DSCN6276.JPG

Rust is preventing it from coming off easy. You should soak the seam in rust penetrating lubricant (3-1 In One, WD 40 Rust Penetrant, etc.). I would recommend renting a slide hammer and bolting it to the hub to pull it off. Check your local auto parts store to see if they will rent you this tool. Otherwise you will have to hammer it off as best you can like they do in the video below.

b267038a-6e60-49b1-96ba-b5378e65a2c0_100

• Like 1

Sometimes a little bit of heat on the spindle around where the hub assembly slides in will encourage them to come off also..just be sure NOT to get it red hot..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Liquid N2 and go the opposite way. Freeze the bugger and one hard shot with a one kilo masse and she'll let go. Not compressed N2. Liquid. -200C. I often use liquid CO2 for the job, as, I have it already for welding.

Thank you all !   it's done:  i did it as the guy on the video:  WD40 and hammer.

i wanted to be sure that it was not another way...  I was afraid to damage it more and cannot take it off at the end.

Now it's pretty !!      Have a good day.

DSCN6277.JPG

Pro, stop admiring another man's tool in public! It just ain't right ! :picard:

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Professur said:

That's one sweet cross peen hammer lying there.

Sorry, is it an American expression for a joke ?  It's not translatable in French...?

Professur,

You certainely speak French, no ?........

Non, Frosty a fait un joke, mais moi, j'etais serieux. Ton masse a l'aire d'une antique. Derniere fois j'ai vu une comme telle, c'etais a une village period 1700. Le nom pour celui en anglais ce Cross Peen. S'il avait une bout ronde, serrait une Ball Peen.

No, no, no !!  There is "no problemo" !   I just wanted to understand well. 

Professur,   yes, my hammerS, because i have some others like that, are "antique"........!!    i am proud to have some olds things !  And, thank you: i have learned two knew particulary words in English !!

Have a good week-end !

• Like 1