Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

If it's not the rarest, it's certainly the most valuable, regular production Pontiac- 1969 Trans Am convertible... only eight made. Last year, one was at a Mecum auction, the bid got to $1.2M (I think) but did not make reserve and did not sell.

• Like 1

Would have too agree on the 69 TA convertible...Seems like I read somewhere that the 73 SD 455 Formula with the 4 speed were made in the single digit numbers.??. Could be wrong..,Not sure..Knew someone that had one..#s matching.They didn't really know or care what they had so they cut it up and completely butchered it to make a drag car out of it..Now what's left of it has been sitting in woods with trees growing thru the floor pan and where engine used to be..For the last 25 years.

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

4 hours ago, stratman said:

If it's not the rarest, it's certainly the most valuable, regular production Pontiac- 1969 Trans Am convertible... only eight made. Last year, one was at a Mecum auction, the bid got to $1.2M (I think) but did not make reserve and did not sell.

I was there for that Mecum Kissimmee 2016 auction that hosted not one, but two of those 8 T/A convertibles, both were "NO SALES" if I recall correctly at $1.2 million and $1.4 million respectively. Beautiful cars for sure. They also had a 69 T/A clone with an LS motor and modern suspension that sold in the low 6 figure range.

I think some of the rarest Pontiacs could be the swiss cheese era Darksider or large bodied factory built race cars from the early 60's. The Ram Air 5 motored cars, the 1970 VOE exhaust optioned GTO's, and the 70's era T-37 455 optioned cars get down into the single digit produced numbers as well. A friend of mine here in Tampa has a LeMans/T-37 in 1+ rated concours condition with a documented race pedigree that was optioned out to like 1 of 2 built.

guido%202_zpsqunfcbp0.jpg

guido%201_zps4tqfvsjo.jpg

Edited by 360Rocket
  • Like 1

Agree with all those too..Maybe 1957 thru 59 pontiac Cheiftans equipped with Rochester mechanical fuel injected 370 CID Engines..also 1LE Firebirds from the late 80s to late 90s no more than 20 or less were ordered most of those  years...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Here are my picks for some of the rarest Pontiacs.

3 '72 GTO station wagons built as an employee lark in the Framington Mass plant but they did get built before management put a stop to any more getting built.

3 '63 421 SD Grand Prixs

8 '69 Trans Am convertibles

14 '63  421 SD Lemans and Tempest wagons - built just before GM's ban on racing

14 '63 "Swiss Cheese" 421 SD Catalinas

17 '71 GTO Judge convertibles

25 '70 Lemans Jury's - Stampede Pontiac dealer creation (Alberta Canada)

26 '78 Macho Trans Ams - Mecham Motors creation (Phoenix Arizona)

43 '73 SD-455 Firebird Formulas (only 10 are 4-speeds)

58 '74 SD-455 Firebird Formulas (no break out between automatics and manuals)

Edited by Frosty

14 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

I think some of the rarest Pontiacs could be the swiss cheese era Darksider or large bodied factory built race cars from the early 60's. The Ram Air 5 motored cars, the 1970 VOE exhaust optioned GTO's, and the 70's era T-37 455 optioned cars get down into the single digit produced numbers as well. A friend of mine here in Tampa has a LeMans/T-37 in 1+ rated concours condition with a documented race pedigree that was optioned out to like 1 of 2 built.

233 VOE equipped '70 GTOs are thought to have been built before GM execs pulled the plug on that option after the infamous "The Humbler" commercial hit the airways. The commercial lasted only 30 days before it was forever pulled from the TV airwaves. 

Another rare but interesting option is a '72 GTOs or Lemans with the duck tail spoiler. Only a hand full of cars were built (no published production numbers) before the mold broke and instead of repairing it, Pontiac dropped the option instead. The same fate happened to the Can-Am spoiler mold in 1977 leading the demise of the Can-Am production after only 1,377 examples. You can now purchase an accurate reproduction of this spoiler from the aftermarket.

GTO-01-03.jpg

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1