Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

We look forward to seeing you around!

Sign in to follow this  
Goat

Dome Light 67 GTO

Question

I have a 67 GTO that I have restored. My dome light stays on even with the doors are closed. Replaced both door switches/plungers with no affect. The head light switch has no effect on turning them off. The only solution is removing the bulb. Any one have thoughts?  

1 answer to this question

It sounds like the dome light circuit is plugged into the wrong power source/circuit under the dash. You obviously need a constant hot power source to turn on the dome lights when you open the door and the ignition is still off. It should go through the headlight circuit, as you indicate. 

Have you circuit tested the door plungers with a volt/ohm meter to insure they are working correctly? They could be bad out of the box.

Have you done some recent re-wiring to the car besides replacing the plungers? From your description it almost sounds like you have plugged the dome light into an accessory or battery feed power lead instead of the headlight/gauge light circuit.

'67 Tempest/Lemans/GTO Fuse block

1967-pontiac-fuse-box-diagram-SgFMdHQ.jp

Wiring diagram from a '66 GTO - You want the Courtesy Light circuit at the bottom, lower left.

attachment.php?attachmentid=71186&d=1454

Edited by Frosty

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!