Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Big loud vibration noise coming from motor

Hi,

Starting today i have a big loud vibrating noise coming from the motor while starting the motor. It sounds like an engine reving. I know it's not the wheel bering because the noise happen when the car is in the park position. The more i accelerate while driving the louder the noise/vibration gets. It gets to the point where you can't hear youself talking. A made short video of me starting my car and driving in my drive way. there'S no light on in the dash

Maybe you can help me know what is it

Edited by bast1981

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

First thing that comes to mind is a blown exhaust manifold gasket or a hole in your exhaust system, either in one of the pipes or within the muffler casing.

Hi,

I drove the car to a friend's house. He's a mechanic and will have a look at it. The undercarriage is really rusty. I'm not surprised to have an exhaust leak. If it's a pipe he will wield a piece of metal over the holde.

I called a local garage to know how much it costs to replace the whole line. They  told me about 850$ to replace the whole exhaust system. It's not that bad.

My friend will probably fix it temporaly until i can get everything replacedd. I can't believe that a local used car dealer can sell cars that unsafe to drive. I had to replace the water pump,intake manifold gasket,all the brakes,pads,rotor,the brake line,the ehaust line.

The gas line is due and the suspension too. All that just by comming out of the lot

That $850 has a lot of padding to it, I'll bet. This is one place where the generic corner garage isn't the best place to go. A specialized exhaust shop will almost certainly come in quite a bit cheaper. The worst thing about front wheel drives is that damn flex pipe. It's often nearly $200. An exhaust shop can take a length of flex, some straight pipe and a pair of flanges and make one up on the spot for less than half that. Ask around.

I totally agree with Pro on this one. An exhaust/muffler shop should be able to fix it cheaper. I am not too kean on a temporary fix to the exhaust. You don't want to run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. So if it turns out to be the exhaust problem, get it fixed permanently as quickly as you can afford to.

It is still a good idea to let your mechanic friend check out the car. He may find other issues lurking around as well.

Not to rub salt on a wound, but you'd have done well to have had him look over this car before you bought it. Next time.

Have you checked for exhaust kits?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2005-Pontiac-Grand-Am-2-2L-2-4L-3-4L-Muffler-Exhaust-Pipe-System-/191234116331?fits=Make%3APontiac|Model%3AGrand+Am&hash=item2c86710aeb%3Ag%3AYSYAAOSw3ydV13lj

You're right about having my friend check the car fist. It was my first car. I always wanted a Pontiac. The tv show Knight rider made me fall in love with cars and Pontiac brand.

That dealership is not too keen on letting buyer test drive the cars. They do no credit check. I live in a place where there is a lot of proverty and social welfare. A lot of people buy their car their.

I've paid 3000$ something for mine. I cant imagine what the car he sells for 900$ look like.

Yes i will ask my friend if he could install a whole exhaust system. Buying on ebay would defenetively be cheaper. I've put so much money and love in this car. I don't want to sell it or trade it in. In both cases i would have basicly to give it away. Seeing a young kid rice it up and drive hard would break my heart.

I know the area. I'm up closer to Montreal. No, you're not gonna get rid of it ... although a big part of owning a car is knowing when to give up. For me, it's when I can't lift the car to change a flat anymore. You could also try calling around to the local scrap yards to see what they've got. You can probably get the entire exhaust in good shape and if you talk *wink**wink* cash, the price often improves even more.  And the border isn't all that far away, US parts are often cheaper even with the exchange rate included.

I see a 3 car garage in that video. That puts you already  3 steps ahead of those of us lying in the street. Courage, mon Seb. This is just old maintenance that needs caught up.

Got my car back yesterday. It costs me 30$. My mechanic friend and his wife was not home. He left the key in the car for me to pick it up. I'm not sure what he did. No loud sound from exhaust anymore.

I guess it's a temporary fix until i can change the whole exhaust line. I will have to do it eventually.

On another note. How does it cost at a corner garage to replace the spark plugs and cables. My car is 260 000 and i'm not sure if it has ever been done.