• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Rosutoss

326 water pump

Question

have a 63 Lemans (326) with a leaking water pump, told it should be 8 bolts, only 4 bolt. Did they use both on 63 326's or do I have a 389?  Thanks, Ron

7 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Engine I D code is stamped pass side it is a 3 digit alpha numeric code stamped under production code . pass side front Just below cylinder head. If original engine I will be able to tell exactly what it is.....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Posted (edited)

Engine I D code is stamped pass side it is a 3 digit alpha numeric code stamped under production code . pass side front Just below cylinder head. If original engine will be able to tell exactly what it is....another quick way to tell if I D # is behind accessories and can't read easy. On the block pass side by the distibutor hole is a pyramid shaped lifting lug the 389 does not have it. The 326 does....

Here are the block codes and casting numbers for all '63 A-bodies.

58ce026c3b6a7_326blockcodes.jpg.c7d3b6f3474e3c7fce69fe7ab502ade5.jpg

2 Lane Blacktop, these are the #'s on front of block- on top is 600 just below is 276465 lower down is 263P below this is 124311. On right block side is GM 548311 also has pyramid by distributor hole. This should be a 326, did they have both 4 bolt and 8 bolt water pumps? All the local auto parts show an 8 bolt pump, but the existing pump is 4 bolt. Thanks,Ron

Posted (edited)

Out away from my literature right now As far as 8 bolt VS 4 bolt water pump would take old pump to parts store and match it up. Know 6 cyl pump is 4 bolt not sure which one 4 bolt or 8 bolt or both used on 326 depending on year or maybe A.C. non A.C...Or heavy duty cooling system or not ?

Posted (edited)

#600 = 326 CID with 2 bbl carb rated 260 horsepower with powerglide trans. RPO L-30. 548311 is casting #   276465 is production # of engine....should match VIN if original...Frostys chart above matches the same info I have. Sure it is accurate...

THANKS  Guys, headed to a shop to have old pump rebuilt. Car was a basket case, been apart over 12 years, should have sent to scrap yard. Had one new in 1963, let heart buy instead of head, wife and I dated in it, trying to go back, wife said can't happen. Thanks again for info.  Ron