Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1968 lemans convertible 350

Hi my name is Sam and I am new to this form but I have a 68 Lemans convertible with a 350 and I want to rebuild the engine to get more power out of the 350 I've got a ideal of what I want to do but I am not sure about the camshaft I was thinking about going with the Rhoads V-Pro street lifters and a howards hydraulic flat tapper camshaft 410141-12 with high performance pistons and a port and polish head job but wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

What are your goals for the engine and the car as a whole? That should dictate what you do to the power train.

Port matching and polishing are always a good idea. I am not familiar with the camshaft you mentioned. What is it's particular specs? 

You will find high performance pistons for a Pontiac 350 might be a little pricier than a 400 or 455 simply because 350 Pontiacs are not a high demand engine these days. There is nothing wrong with it either.

Edited by Frosty

I just want a weekend driver with some power at least high 3s you know and yea your right about those pistons I am planning on ordering them from Butlers... and that camshaft Advertised Duration 279/289 lift .490/.488 with a lobe separation 112 I was thinking about going with that or either have a custom one made for the build

Your camshaft profile does not look out of line with many stock Pontiac profiles, so you should be okay. Your lift seems a tad high if you are using a 1.5 rocker arm.

What else are you planning on using in your build up? Are you going to stroke the motor with a different crank? ARP bolts all around I highly recommend. What are you using for an oil pump? Piston rods, intake and exhaust manifolds? Carburetor or EFI? Heads - stock or aftermarket and which ones? I would recommend stamped steel roller rocker arms for longevity.

If you are reaching out to Butler for your pistons, ask them for a complete bill of materials for your build up. They have the know how of what parts work best for your intended performance / driving goals. You are looking for a tad more than 1 hp per cubic inch based on what I've read, but you want reliable power, low end torque, daily driver type power and drivability.