Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Know What This Is?

Well I went to the 44th Annual Detroit Swap meet today. I saw some interesting things. I passed on a set of BBC valve covers that had the Pontiac name and arrowhead logo etched into them. They were clearly used and the asking price was still $300. However I did pick up Don Keefe's latest book "Pontiac Concept and Show Cars". I will have Don autograph it the next time I see him. I worked with Don last winter on Eric White's memorial for both the GTOAA Legend and Ponco Perfection.

51DkAdxIf7L._SX474_BO1204203200_.jpg

While I didn't see a ton of Pontiac stuff, I did pick up this little gem. So can anyone tell me what it is and what it means?

IMG_1314.JPG

This section is just for GE. This is stuff that I saw but I didn't buy, but I should have.

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

Edited by Frosty

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 minute ago, Ringo64 said:

Tony the Tiger? :lol: jk

Know tigers were used a lot for the Goat in advertising. Is it an antenna cover?

You are half right Ringo, but it is not Tony the Tiger. Good guess though.

Edited by Frosty

Ding, ding ,ding, ding, ding,ding.......we have a winner!

It is indeed the Esso Tiger antenna ball. These were popular back in the day.

As Ringo indicates tiger advertising was big with the GTO back in the day. There was Kellogg's Tony the Tiger, Esso gas "like putting a tiger in your tank", and Tiger Paw tires.

• Like 1

Frosty you should make a trip down here and meet Don Keefe himself. Hes been to our last 2 Pontiac club meetings and it looks to be a regular thing in the future

Thanks for the invite 360. I've met Don several times. I have his email address too. Sadly he and I collaborated last year when a fellow Widetracker and mutual friend, Eric White, died suddenly of a stroke. Don came to the funeral. Eric was a brilliant illustrator and author in his own right. Don used my memorial article for Eric in Poncho Perfection. It was also used in the GTOAA Legend as well as the Widetrackers "Tracker". In that article I got reactions from Jim Matison and Jim Wangers too.

I send Don things from time to time as well.

Finally, Eric's definitive work was the Illustrated Guide to the GTO and GT-37. It is  "the" book and reference for judging by both  the GTOAA and the POCI.

All that said, can I still come down? Did Don move from Farfield NY?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ding, ding ,ding, ding, ding,ding.......we have a winner!

It is indeed the Esso Tiger antenna ball. These were popular back in the day.

As Ringo indicates tiger advertising was big with the GTO back in the day. There was Kellogg's Tony the Tiger, Esso gas "like putting a tiger in your tank", and Tiger Paw tires.

Don't forget our baseball team!

5 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Picked these goodies up at the Mecum Auto Auction yesterday.

humbler%20ad_zpsw8zqdvkr.jpg

option%20book_zpsyavllbpc.jpg

Yeah Frosty, come down anytime. Bring SteveA with you.

Very cool 360!

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Would you believe that at the Mecum auction I attended this weekend that a red 1970 Pontiac GTO JUDGE was a "NO SALE" at $35K ???  I should have waited before buying mine. Car was a 4 speed car in the same condition as mine. 400 but damn, a Judge for $35K? wow.

Frosty its so cool that you get the young ones involved in our hobby. Its vital to its survival and would love to see more car owners get the up and coming generations excited about cars.

A Judge that no sales at that price. It must have had a higher reserved that didn't get met or something else didn't add up.

I have to admit that the tigers on the car draw in the young kids.  If they come over I ask if they want to pet them. They point to my Tiger in the tank tail and I say I have an even bigger one in the trunk that I can't let out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

A Judge that no sales at that price. It must have had a higher reserved that didn't get met or something else didn't add up.

I have to admit that the tigers on the car draw in the young kids.  If they come over I ask if they want to pet them. They point to my Tiger in the tank tail and I say I have an even bigger one in the trunk that I can't let out.

I guess the point I was making is that no one bid it higher or saw a value for the car above $35K.

I was watching the mecum auction and there was more ,no sales then sold cars. Some really beautiful cars but the money wasn't flying around.

18 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

I guess the point I was making is that no one bid it higher or saw a value for the car above $35K.

I would be happy to pay $35k for a real Judge. I am wondering if it was (A) not a real Judge but rather a Judge tribute/clone (perhaps not even a real GTO), or (B) it was not a numbers matching car that hurt the value of the car, (C) perhaps there was more work that needed to be done to the car that the cameras didn't show, (D) the reserve was set too high or the high rolling bidders were not in the room.

• Like 1

I saw the car in person so no cameras, PHS documentation was displayed in the car window. Not sure about the matching numbers as the hood was closed. It was advertised as a real Judge but we also know that fraud is rampant in the collector car hobby. I would have thought the bottom $$$ for a Judge would be closer to $50K as it was in original factory colors as well. Even Pepper Green cars demand more than $35K let alone original Cardinal Red on black. maybe no GTO buyers in the audience. Where and what time your car crosses the block will effect your final price as well but that much?

FROSTY!!! Going to meet up with Don Keefe and the gang tonight at Quaker Steak and Lube for a cruise tonight. I hear Kevin Guido is bringing out his ultra rare T-37 455 HO post car. I'll try and grab pics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

FROSTY!!! Going to meet up with Don Keefe and the gang tonight at Quaker Steak and Lube for a cruise tonight. I hear Kevin Guido is bringing out his ultra rare T-37 455 HO post car. I'll try and grab pics.

Tell Don I left him an email today! Have fun - can't wait to see the pics!

Nevermind, Don responded already. Seems he has permanently moved to Palm Harbor.

Edited by Frosty