• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

QueenCognac

02 GP 3.1L Temperature guage fluctuating

Question

QueenCognac    0

Anyone able to tell me if this issue is a thermostat or the sensor? My 02 GP 3.1l temp guage started fluctuating a lot and heat would work then not work...after 2 days now the heat is completely gone amd guage is still fluctuating? Any ideas as im stuck fixing this myself. [emoji19]

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

2 answers to this question

indymanjoe    38

Have you checked the coolant level? Not sure if you have the plastic waterpump elbows on that one.i did and they cracked and leaked.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Last Indian    32

It's not that simple to answer without being there. Many things and multiple things can be involved. That said, with it being a 02 I’ll assume the antifreeze has been changed seldom. If it's never been flushed and if most or all of its life there's been Dex Cool in the system you most likely have major blockage. If that's the case it will require a complete redo of the coolant system. Water pump, lines, heater core and radiator. What you described makes me lean towards that. So you will need to verify that condition before you start down that road.