Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

SVS, ABS, & Trac Off

Guest GA_Girl2002

Guest GA_Girl2002

So, as most of you know i've been having this problem with my GA, the SVS, ABS & Trac off lights will not go off.

I was told it may be a wheel bearing, so i replaced the one on the left side due to some issues with it anyways and figured that may be the problem, but right away the lights came on again.

If i back the car up, the traction doesn't grip at all & it takes a minute for the wheels to grip & the car to go, i.e backing down a hill... then the lights will pop on again.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Have you checked the right wheel bearing? Grasp the right wheel on the top and bottom and see if it wiggles or has play in it. Also check the sensors/harnesses for corrosion and such.

Whoa, takes awhile to "grip"?

Hmmm...in other words, it'll rev freely, like in neutral, then engage? Might be a trans issue.

Do you know anyone with a real code scanner? Pull codes from the BCM, this might be more than a hub assembly issue.

Guest GA_Girl2002

my next guess was to replace the right wheel bearing.

& like to back out of my driveway i have to go down a hill, so then obviously i put it in drive but when i go to hit the gas pedal it takes a second bc the car doesnt grip-in other words the trac off light comes on, then itll like jerk into place & thats when those lights pop back on then i can drive the car fine.

You can't check the fluid level. The 4T45E trans has no dipstick.

Amber, you could possibly have a trans issue on your hands. Also, while at speeds above 45+ MPH, do you get a hum and a vibration? The vibration will feel like a tire out of balance.

Guest GA_Girl2002

not really a hum, then again i always have my stereo on but ive never heard it. vibration-yes. i was told the alignment needs to be redone b/c that was why the car would vibrate.

but now when i start the car the brake light for the emergency brake will stay on for awhile, even tho the brake isnt on, then itll randomly go off.

idk what the BCM thing is...

Well for starters, leave the music off to check for noise. :lol2:

A bad wheel alignment will not always cause a vibration in the steering system. My 95 Intrepid had issues with too much positive camber, and I got a pull, no vibration.

Wheels out of balance or bad hub assembly will cause a vibration.

As for the brake light on the dash, the GA's brake light for low brake fluid and the e-brake are the same. Check the fluid level in the resivior.

BCM = Body Control Module

That unit stores trouble codes and controls the majority of the electical systems on the car that are no directly related to the engine/transmission. IE, ABS sensors, gauge cluster, etc.

lol

i shoudl know this dip stick thing.. seeing as there is no effing dip stick in my tranny

its some how starting to sound to me like its needs some catching up with basic maintenance

I would only change the filter, and replace fluid lost as far as trans care is concerned at that high mileage. Any sort of power flushing is a big no-no. Might as well try and grenading the trans yourself if you do that.

' date='Jun 3 2010, 02:26 AM' post='28187']

I would only change the filter, and replace fluid lost as far as trans care is concerned at that high mileage. Any sort of power flushing is a big no-no. Might as well try and grenading the trans yourself if you do that.

i refuse to do a full flush on anything.. thus far i have never seen any real gains.. and more problems then anything caused

Guest GA_Girl2002

Time to buy that G6 lol

:(

but i doubt that :agreed:

so what filiter needs to be replaced? & i don't do the actual "work" on my car, so what exactly do you think needs to be done...

im starting to get frustrated with the car :bacon:

with those 3 lights on im going to go ahead and say that its probably the wheel bearing or the abs sensor or harness. either way the whole hub has to be replaced. try disconnecting the sensor and cleaning the contacts and see what happens. you can also go to a shop and they can tell you whether or not the bearing or sensor is bad..

as for the brake light it can only be two things as chaos said. its either the fluid level or it could possibly be some issue with the ebrake cable

Guest GA_Girl2002

i replaced one wheel bearing on the left side-didnt do anything.

but as soon as i even turn the wheel those lights will pop back on. i turn the car off & start it-theyre gone. i back up, stop & put it in D then go then the trac low comes on and it wont grip right away & i feel it take a second to get traction to go & then those lights will come on, or i can turn the wheel & theyll come on.

i tried unhooking the battery to see if it would reset itself & they still came on after that.

as for the brake fluid-that was low & i put more in & thats fine now.