Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

console shifter

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Manual or automatic?

I converted my stock Pontiac automatic shifter in my '72 LeMans over to a Hurst His/Hers Dual Gate shifter (from a '68 GTO).  After staring at the plain stock small black shifter ball after awhile, I purchased a Hurst billet pistol grip for it. This winter I plan to paint the lettering.

The console cover plate is autographed by Doc Watson and Linda Vaughan of Hurst shifter fame.

IMG_9140.JPG

• Like 1

hello ...thanks for the reply ...looks great...i don,t have the his / her shifter...but that looks great ... was it hard too change ?   

house pics 1016.JPG

Justa upgraded my 66 GTO to a 67 His/Hers with the console.  Have the links for everything you need (if you go His/Hers).  These guys were extremely helpful in correct placement for mounting.  Should be straight forward swap for you.

2016 7-29 003.jpg

2016 7-29 008.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scarlit said:

hello ...thanks for the reply ...looks great...i don,t have the his / her shifter...but that looks great ... was it hard too change ?   

house pics 1016.JPG

What JUSTA and I are saying is "No, not really."

I too changed my stock 1970 console shifter and added a His/Hers Dualgate with a polished HURST T handle. I might have to look in to that pistol grip set up though, thats badass!!

Edited by 360Rocket

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Justa upgraded my 66 GTO to a 67 His/Hers with the console.  Have the links for everything you need (if you go His/Hers).  These guys were extremely helpful in correct placement for mounting.  Should be straight forward swap for you.

2016 7-29 003.jpg

2016 7-29 008.jpg

just seen the picture of your shifter , thats pretty much exactly what i,m looking for ...any mayjor issues changing ?? i have a tci turbo 400 tranny , shift kit ..i,m know mechanic , how many hours involved in the job ? any cutting or such ...looks great..thanks again on a mission now ...lol... cheers

On 03/12/2016 at 3:54 PM, 360Rocket said:

I too changed my stock 1970 console shifter and added a His/Hers Dualgate with a polished HURST T handle. I might have to look in to that pistol grip set up though, thats badass!!

hello rocket ...i have been looking everywhere for the setup you have and can,t find one ...any leads would be truely appreciated ...thanks in advance ..cheers

On 03/12/2016 at 0:08 AM, Frosty said:

Manual or automatic?

I converted my stock Pontiac automatic shifter in my '72 LeMans over to a Hurst His/Hers Dual Gate shifter (from a '68 GTO).  After staring at the plain stock small black shifter ball after awhile, I purchased a Hurst billet pistol grip for it. This winter I plan to paint the lettering.

The console cover plate is autographed by Doc Watson and Linda Vaughan of Hurst shifter fame.

IMG_9140.JPG

hello again frosty ....any leads where i can get one ..no luck on my end ...

On 12/3/2016 at 3:54 PM, 360Rocket said:

The pistol grip was $55 from Summit Racing. It took 5 minutes to install.

As for getting the Dual Gate Shifter itself. I purchased mine on eBay. Sometimes you can find them on Amazon used, ditto eBay and Craigslist, and high-end swap meets. Expect to pay between $200-600 for one, depending on how complete the shifter is.

Edited by Frosty

OK THANKS ... how about just changing the stock shifter lever it self ? To a curved hurst arm with a t-handle, is it possible to just change the handle ? all i,m looking for is the look ...apoligize for being a pain...keep hitting walls while looking for one ... at least i have about 6 months before i get her back out of storage ...hahahahaha ...time to bring the skates out ...cheers  

scarlit, I found mine on Craigslist for $300 with console included. Some of the restoration Catalogs sell them new for @$500.

Best thing to do is order free catalogs from Ames Performance, National Parts Depot, and Original Parts Group INC. I think Year One charges $7 for its catalog but gives you the catalog money back on your first purchase.

a quick photo of my his/hers with the Hurst T handle in place.

shifter%202_zpsd0yjdfze.jpg

Edited by 360Rocket

2 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

scarlit, I found mine on Craigslist for $300 with console included. Some of the restoration Catalogs sell them new for @$500.

Best thing to do is order free catalogs from Ames Performance, National Parts Depot, and Original Parts Group INC. I think Year One charges $7 for its catalog but gives you the catalog money back on your first purchase.

OK THANKS ... how about just changing the stock shifter lever it self ? To a curved hurst arm with a t-handle, is it possible to just change the handle ? all i,m looking for is the look ...apoligize for being a pain...keep hitting walls while looking for one ... at least i have about 6 months before i get her back out of storage ...hahahahaha ...time to bring the skates out ...cheers  

ok rocket i,ll take it man....LMAO.....exactly what i,m looking for ....send me your info and will fix you up for it..you tease hahahhahaha ... looks great ...was it hard too install ?

I'm not sure that you can remove or replace the shifter arm as you can on a manual shifter, also a manual shifter arm is round as the dual gate arm is thin and reqtangular so that it moves thru the narrow gates of the auto shifter plate. I do recall that Hurst offered an aftermarket dual gate shifter back in the day and it had a higher and slightly curved arm, maybe you can find one of those on Ebay? or Craigslist as well. Maybe someone here knows where to find one new?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurst+aftermarket+dual+gate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiPDYu-PQAhXGQCYKHWrtCPsQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=871

Edited by 360Rocket
  • Like 1

On 06/12/2016 at 7:30 PM, 360Rocket said:

ok thanks.. a lot rocket ... saved that hurst site ...shifter heaven ...lol...sure i,ll find the one ..going searching now ...cheers 

I am not aware of any aftermarket replacement for the stock shifter handle itself. Typically a shifter replacement is the entire assembly. If you look at manufacturers of automatic shifters like Hurst and B&M, it is usually the entire shifter assembly that they sell. Manual shifters are a different thing.

• Like 1

I couldnt find out how to change just the shifter on mine. (68 dual gate as well) I sold one not long ago for 250.00. That was what i paid for it.One just sold on the AMES forum for 300.00. they are out there but getting harder to find ones with nice chrome on the shifter.

On 12/3/2016 at 0:08 AM, Frosty said:

Manual or automatic?

IMG_9140.JPG

If you gonna go pistol grip.....Go Browning....Driven daily. 1 shot one kill.

2016 12-7 002.jpg

• Like 1

On 06/12/2016 at 7:30 PM, 360Rocket said:

thanks for the info ...i seen 1 for $499 on ebay ...but not with t handle ....was your hard too change ??

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

If you gonna go pistol grip.....Go Browning....Driven daily. 1 shot one kill.

2016 12-7 002.jpg

hahahhhha that,s good one....lmao ... cheers 

A great friend for many years gave me the shifter and console for my GTO.  He wanted me to think of him everytime I shifted the car.  To those of you that ran with me this summer and had the chance to meet Brian, he passed yesterday. I've been to so many engraving shops to have his name put on my T handle and finally found a place that could engrave on the rounded handle.  It won't be done until next Tuesday and I was so excited to be able to show him after picking it up.  This is a huge loss, but the suffering from the cancer is over.  Godspeed my friend.

2016 6-18 Brian-M1 001.jpg

• Like 2

JUSTA, I consider myself one of the lucky ones to have meet Brian this summer and see the parts he gave you.

Thank you for sharing your friendship with Brian with me. May he rest in peace.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

JUSTA, I consider myself one of the lucky ones to have meet Brian this summer and see the parts he gave you.

Thank you for sharing your friendship with Brian with me. May he rest in peace.

Thankz buddy, this is a tough one.