Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

car wont start. HELP!

my G6 wont start. tried portable battery, tried car jump start. lights come on and gauges sweep like normal. stuck in a parking lot and its cold. what to check next? help! thanks.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

If it's not turning over, probably the starter.  I'd try jumpin it with a screw driver on the starter, but you have to jack it up to get under it, and your probaly by yourself.  Good luck.

Sounds like something is either ground out prematurely or you have cut or broken wire in the circuit.

I would work backwards from the starter and work my way back to the ignition switch, checking to see if any wires on the starter are burned, cracked, or blistered. On Lucy, I had a situation that she would not start randomly. No clicking, no nothing. Turned out to be the negative cable going from the battery to the starter had touched up against the exhaust manifold, melted the cable insulation, and there was metal to metal contact with the battery cable and the manifold that was grounding out the whole system. So check all the starter/engine leads that you can first since they come in contact with the most heat first. Next you will have to move under the dash for the same thing.

Do you have a wiring schematic for the G6? If not, I would look for one online so you know what color wire(s) you are looking for both under the hood and under the dash.

Also, any chance the starter itself is bad? DItto the ignition switch (all assuming you find no wiring abnormalities).

3 hours ago, havoc1482 said:

Looks like that picture he posted showed a wire grounding out/shorting.

this.

3 hours ago, havoc1482 said:

Lemme guess. You wrapped in in electrical tape? :D

592.jpg

maybe. i also moved the wire away and zip tied it.