Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I'm so ashamed.

Professur

Well, the wife's 2005 Malibu is getting a little long in the tooth for a modern car, and as she's taken over taxiing my elderly mother about, I want her to have something less close to end of life. After some kicking and yelling, I got her to at least look at some cars (that I pulled up on the web) and to go sit in some. Given that she's pretty short (a lot shorter than me even) fitment is a major issue. The Malibu had adjustable pedals that meant she would sit far enough away from the wheel that the airbag wouldn't rip her head off. And she still needs to be able to see over the hood. Well, I thought she was sold on a 2011 Scion xD ... when I took her to one car lot too many. She found a 2014 1.8l Sonic. Balance of warranty until 2019. And comes with a set of winter tires included. She drove it ... and all thoughts of the Scion were lost. I spent the next couple of days trying to find anything bad anyone had to say about it .. came up pretty much empty. With the exception of the air intake hose with cracks at about 35k miles and that it's got a timing belt instead of a chain .. nada.

So, tomorrow she takes possession of yet another Bowtie.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

You dodged a bullet with not going with the Scion. Can't wait for them to kill that brand, cars are junk.

The Sonic isn't too bad at all. Sat in one a few years back at Disney World and was actually kind of amazed. Was even a manual!

I didn't find too too much on the Scion. Standard Toyota powertrain.

This Sonic has the 6 speed auto. The big thing I like is what it lacks. Manual mirrors with convex inserts on both sides, and wind up windows. I didn't even think you could get that anymore. Hatchback is decent and rearward visibility seems remarkably good for today's cars. No touch screen and no backup sensors or cameras to distract from actually LOOKING where you're going. Insurance both ways is $600 with her as first driver and a $250 deductible. Better than I'd hoped, honestly. She made a few claims in the Malibu. At least I won't have to worry about getting slapped with the Gas Guzzler tax plating it. I was a little freaked out to find youtube vids of Sonics doing 120mph+. The gauge cluster is ... comical. One HUGE dial tach (in an automatic .. yeah, that's useful) with a smartphone sized digital display stuck to the side.  At least the engine bay is well appointed. And the water pump is outside and accessory belt driven instead of being on the timing set.  From what I've read, changing the timing belt is fairly painless ... particularly if you use the russian method.

• Founders

Scions have been rated one of the most costly to own vehicles to maintain due to always being in the shop. Might just be related to the tC but bunch of complaints. Ultimately what steered me away, granted this was back in ~2006 so quality probably improved but my vision of them was tainted.

Dang didn't know you could get manual windows or mirrors anymore. 

My kid's 2006 GMC Canyon W/T was manual mirrors and windows. No remote keyless entry either, just a single lock on the driver door and no power locks.

Pro - it's for sale. Only 96k on the Odom. I5, auto, air, cruise.

Good luck with the Sonic. Yes Pro's wife is shorter than he is too. 

Edited by Frosty

Her car was nearly for sale last night. She'd told me the Malibu had had a recent oil change when I asked her 3 weeks ago. Since she got the Sonic, I've been driving it and yesterday I did a tour of the fluids (weekly). The oil is practically roofing tar. I've already had to replace the Malibu engine once because she didn't change the oil and it allowed the timing chain to stretch and slip.

While I quite like the Canyon, importing a car into Quebec is a nightmare ... much worse than Ontario. Even just transferring your car to Quebec when you move from Ontario is enough to make most people sell it and buy a new one here.

Nothing like the tax-filled province of Quebec eh mon ami?

Like all politictians, they never met a tax they didn't like!

My life is feast or famine. A guy just posted on ClassicOldsmobile. He's got a 89 Cutlass Ciera wagon he wants rid of. Half way down the 401 just west of Kingston.

Well ... this morning I was conflicted. At lunch, I had to repair a flat on the Malibu and the jack punched right through the jack point. If that Olds is as solid as he claims ... I guess I'll be going for a bit of a drive.

Whal ... I mentioned the 89 olds to the missus this morning. She said 'well something has to go'.  I looked out the window at the Malibu ... And she said "Other than that!!" But she didn't say No. That's all the head start I need.

23 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

And IF you order right now........

you get a free set of ginsu knife set !!

Pro - go out and get you a snowcat and use it all year round. Put wheels on it in spring, summer, and fall. Then in winter put the tracts back on it. Leave the plow on it all year round for slow car removal tool.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:05 PM, indymanjoe said:

i have some kids for free!! includes clothes and cell phones

On 10/21/2016 at 10:39 PM, JUSTA6 said:

And IF you order right now........

eatthe.png

Edited by Frosty