• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tristen Rivera

Pontiac 350 high compression Pistons

2 posts in this topic

Hi I'm currently rebuilding a Pontiac 350. I've had the cylinders machined 30 thousandths  so I will need oversized Pistons/rings. However I can't find any Pistons with compression over 8:1. I was hoping for at least 9.5:1! Does anyone know where I could find any? Or have suggestions? Thanks so much! :D

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Reach out to Butler Performance or Kanter Auto Products. They should probably be able to give you some suggestions. The problem is the lack of popularity (in the Pontiac community at least) for the 350 V8. It's not a bad engine by any stretch, but given the availability of 400s, 428s, and 455s on the large stroke end and the 326/389/421s from the early 60s, the 350 became the forgotten middle child. So certain parts like pistons, rods, cranks, etc. were either no longer produced or dropped thru lack of demand by the aftermarket for this engine unlike the Chevy 350 and Ford 351 motors - especially once Pontiac stopped producing their own engines.

The worst case scenario is having to order custom pistons or have a different engine piston cut down to size. It will not be as cheap as buying a readily available, off-the-shelf part but it will be possible.

Edited by Frosty