Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hurricane Matthew

Ringo64

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The Weather (terror) network is in full voice ... including the new "Skull storm"  artwork.  I understand that they make their money on ad revenue and getting people glued to their tvs is important ... but isn't "inciting fear" a crime in most states now?

• Founders
1 hour ago, Professur said:

The Weather (terror) network is in full voice ... including the new "Skull storm"  artwork.  I understand that they make their money on ad revenue and getting people glued to their tvs is important ... but isn't "inciting fear" a crime in most states now?

To be fair to them so many people take it "easy" against these storms and a cat 4 (which is the prediction it will be when it lands) is a serious storm. Some people deserve the shit scared out of them to get them to reasonably prepare. 

At the same time though, you find yourself in a false-sense or a lull when a serious storm does come and they freak everyone out about each storm. It's a toss really...

• Like 1

• Founders
1 hour ago, Professur said:

Have you got a web cam set up? I love watching a storm.

Nope, I'm on the west coast of FL. East coast is where the "action" is.

• 1 month later...

We just wrapped a vacation to Hilton Head Island South Carolina about 10 days ago. We were lucky that the beach side condo we usually stay at was not damaged. Lots of others were. However, there is clearly damage all over the island. Lots of beach erosion. Most of the golf courses are shut down with tree fall and limb debris. There were chainsaw cutting crews everywhere clearing the roads and sidewalks. Massive piles of cut trees were everywhere you looked. 

A local I talked to said that it is estimated that 280,000 trees on the island alone have or will need to be cut down as a result of Matthew. Obviously this means the clean up on the island alone will take months. Now imagine what that is like up and down the North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and northern Florida coast lines.

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Matthew kicked me in my nuts. 

I wasn't going to go into it but I'm in a better place now both mentally and physically.                                                                                                                                I will say our losses are far less then 100's of others in our area, so I feel blessed.

A little back story; My wife and I decided that weekend to celebrate our 33rd early due to an upcoming trip to NC. So like so many we ventured out Saturday the 8th thinking we were just in for some heavy rain and usual street flooding. Besides we all know we can trust the weatherman so whats the worry, Right?  

Well the rain came in and we went out, It was about 6pm and within a few hours the rain was really picking up. After a great dinner we ventured home around 10:30 and when we turned down our street I knew we we're going to have some water in the garage, it happen before. My work truck was in the road and the water was already at the rockers. I just pulled my wife's SUV onto the yard and then moved my trucks as well. We talked for a bit while we watched the news and again no one felt Virginia Beach was going to be effected so we called it a night. Well 1:30am my wife happened to get up and that's when all hell broke loose.  For the first time in who knows how long there was water coming in the doors, 

Oh the Beach Life :rolleyes:

Now realizing there was no option other then to start piling every household item below 12" up and onto anything possible. This fire-drill went on to about 3:30 and all I can say is my wife is a trooper. We were able to save almost 90% of the items in the house. After we realized there was nothing further we could do, I immediately turned my attention to the 3 vehicles outside slowly being consumed by water, not to mention the fact that I had brought the '66 to the house earlier in the week to prepare it for the NC trip, BIG MISTAKE! 

So I pulled my wife's little truck onto the porch and and backed my 2 trucks closer to the house in hopes this would be enough to save them. See I live on an elevated lot, but apparently its at the bottom of a bowl. After dealing with all the above I then switched gears to figure out what the hell do I do with the one in the garage? Thankfully I had my jack and jack stands in the truck backed up the driveway, so I began to crawl in the rising water and jack the old gal up as high as I could. Oh what Joy this was, but I did it. I had it up at the highest position of the stands and that is all I could do.

I then turned my attention back to the wife and dog and set them up in her truck on the porch, as I sat there sporting my nifty rubber boots watching the slow rise of the water in my home and bitching at the weather channel . It was now around 4:30 and the rise had stopped, Whew!  Luckily our home (Ranch) was built with flood code specs with all electric receptacles are at 20" and power feeds ran from above so we never lost power.

All in all we took 6" in the house and saved a lot of stuff including all vehicles. Our house is one of at least a thousand to sustain this level of damage which is classified as MINIMAL. We were stuck in-place due to the lower streets staying flooded and impassable until Monday around 10:45am. That is when I started the removal of all household goods. We are fully insured and will overcome! 

Our hearts go out to all the local family's who have lost everything. This weather event was underrated and shows how vulnerable we are. 

Here's a shot from Sunday morning when the water started to recede, the garage is about 5" lower so there was about 10-11" of water in the garage.  

VICTORY%20FLOOD%20041.jpg

Frosty and I were talking about this over dinner.  Glad to hear that you and the Missus are okay.  Stay safe out there and dry.

So glad to hear you and Mrs. SPRINT 6 are ok! I am very impressed with your quick, but methodical thinking in saving most of your stuff and all your vehicles during this most stressful event.

BTW, I bet you have fight off the ladies with those legs and boots!  B)

Edited by stratman
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 9:08 PM, notallthere said:

Those are the casual ones.  You should see the stiletto ones for Saturday night.

WOW, I thought that was our little secret  :o :lol:

You should know by now that notallthere can't keep a secret. He's constantly telling me his (against my will)...and it's all I can do to keep my lunch down.

Me thinks we've moved way off topic again too !

Edited by Frosty