Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Mizzi's 1959 Star Chief Vista

2021 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

This will NOT make you smile.

We had a really rough night last night.... 

about 2 am we were woken by a loud explosion , i got out of bed and looked for what had blown up........ nothing........

then about 5.30 am we got a 3.1 magnitude earthquack..... shock the shit out of the house, a few things fell to the floor. i got on the geonet app on my phone to find the epicenter was justA a few kms away from our home at a depth of 5kms. which explains why it was so loud and violent, felt way more than a 3.1 !!!

gave both the boss an i the shits. and ever since, i can hear the sound of what seams to be explosions ..... kind of like a giant taking one big resonating step..... and they are about 5-10 mins apart. i am kinda guessing they are geothermal explosions under ground...

super weird as i have never had a shake of this kind before, usually ( like once every 3-4 years) we get a rumbling noise followed by a little shake, then a smaller after shock a few minutes latter.

not this one.... totally different. 

very un nerving :unsure:

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/2021p393856

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Being someone who has anxiety issues, I completely understand those panic moments. Been there plenty of times with hurricanes/tornadoes/etc... Always say though for our hurricanes, supplies are 10% water/food/batteries/etc..., 90% alcohol :lol: 

oh ... i know exactly how you feel Ringo... as i get older this bloody anxiety gets worse !! i hate it.

5 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Sure does, unfortunately :lol: 

is there any trick to dealing with it ???.. all i find works is head down, arse up working! so it takes my mind off it.🙄

• Founders
6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

is there any trick to dealing with it ???.. all i find works is head down, arse up working! so it takes my mind off it.🙄

That and exercise works for best me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 8:00 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

We had a really rough night last night.... 

about 2 am we were woken by a loud explosion , i got out of bed and looked for what had blown up........ nothing........

then about 5.30 am we got a 3.1 magnitude earthquack..... shock the shit out of the house, a few things fell to the floor. i got on the geonet app on my phone to find the epicenter was justA a few kms away from our home at a depth of 5kms. which explains why it was so loud and violent, felt way more than a 3.1 !!!

gave both the boss an i the shits. and ever since, i can hear the sound of what seams to be explosions ..... kind of like a giant taking one big resonating step..... and they are about 5-10 mins apart. i am kinda guessing they are geothermal explosions under ground...

super weird as i have never had a shake of this kind before, usually ( like once every 3-4 years) we get a rumbling noise followed by a little shake, then a smaller after shock a few minutes latter.

not this one.... totally different. 

very un nerving :unsure:

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/2021p393856

Had another un- nerving day !!

Over night we had something like 6 small shakes, then just after lunch a 4.8 shake... i was on the mountain working for the department of conservation and felt it , the boss was in a mega store and the shelves were going all over the place... she left there quickly! hahaha( hitch hiker guide to stopping the wife from shopping !! :rofl: )

then another 3.8 a hour latter, had her calling me.. all stressed out, i said to her its way better that they happen during the day, at least its light and its not waking you out of your sleep ! 👍

We have not had any seismec activity like this for ... well years !, today's were more like normal shakes, you hear a rumble, then shake. stop, not the big long bang noises like the other night...

still pretty freaky !:unsure:

C7ECD73A-25AD-4813-BA37-5EAEF1BE47AE.jpeg

mt ngauruhoe

61A2926E-7CC6-42F4-B543-E4A227B0E45C.jpeg

61F5BA4D-14AC-485D-AB62-B74C2288C3D4.jpeg

4C99C8A2-0324-4B97-9DA1-B34400014AF1.jpeg

mt Ruapehu

and we were on mt Tongariro doing work on the huts....all 3 mountains  are together in the central north island

7046A786-A389-44BB-99D4-A5184AF6424A.jpeg

This is waihohonu hut... when fitzy comes to visit from oz, he can hike up and stay here, pretty flash for a mountain hut !!!!

B31A6872-5D57-4A8C-AC88-0466E3FC0832.jpeg

Andy our helicopter pilot , with no doors on his chopper,  is a bit freaky when your sitting on the end of a bench seat with  JustA seat belt on to keep you in!!!!

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

• Founders
47 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Come on Ringo, where's your sense of adventure?

I've helicopter skied in the Bugaboo Mountains of eastern British Columbia befire. We climb out of helicopters into avalanche prone areas justa so we can ski in fresh powder up to our arses. We get to wear avalanche transponders around our necks in case we do get caught in one, members of our group can find us and dig us out in 20 minutes or less (that's how long you have before you suffocate). So a chopper without doors ain't no big deal in the arse pucker factor scale.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

• Founders
4 hours ago, Frosty said:

image.png.c4934ccdbb6615e634063ea5ea88b4a4.png

image.png.0294640087d8f565364ed2c83fa9ac3b.png

Eh, my stupid days are behind me. Broken bones, near aligator bites, being chased by a panther, etc... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Dang, crazy! Any explanation for the seismic activity going on?

And FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF that helicopter with no doors. 

oh i would love to know whats going on down there mate !.... hope its has nothing to do with all the geothermal drilling and fracking they are doing around the area for the next geothermal power station they are building !!!:unsure:

• Confused 2