Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

1Batimobil's 1967 Catalina

2021 February
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

I am also thinking of deleting the factory fan, and fitting a thermostatically controlled electric one on the back side of the radiator.

My reasoning is that the factory fan is not thermostatic, so its pulling power straight from cold start, it has no real shroud to make it way more efficient.

It will increase hp justA by removing it.

What you guys think ??? 🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t tell Smokey Yunick that! Those cars dominated NASCAR in the day mate!

New Teflon brake hoses thanks to my brake shop mate, who is also making me a Teflon fuel line with a-n fittings from the pump up to the  carter  these babys will not expand when those big brake dr

Molly, my Golden Retriever, is a bed pig (on my bed of course). She's suppose to be my kid's dog, but you know how children's promises go. She's 9, he's 20.

Posted Images

Good job 👍 now for a cold one. :cheers:

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now to Kiwi. I've got a buddy that's been trying to convince me to go electric. Justa makes a real good point. I've been at the Dream Cruise a number of times and in other places where the roads or interstate was like a parking lot. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Also, everybody that I've talked to about putting in an electric fan talks about the increased horse power. I wouldn't think it could actually be more the 2-3 horses. Does anybody know how much of a horse power again you actually get?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now to Kiwi. I've got a buddy that's been trying to convince me to go electric. Justa makes a real good point. I've been at the Dream Cruise a number of times and in other places where the roads or interstate was like a parking lot. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Also, everybody that I've talked to about putting in an electric fan talks about the increased horse power. I wouldn't think it could actually be more the 2-3 horses. Does anybody know how much of a horse power again you actually get?

Seems like the old debate over electric water pumps back in the day was 6-9hp. Factor in the cost/added weight plus an extra expensive belt on a street package, not worth my time/$$$.  I'm guessing less HP for the fan setup as there is no drag like the water pump moving liquid.  There would have to be some HP gain.

• Like 1

I agree that there would have to be some HP gain and weight reduction but had no idea it would be that high. I was honestly figuring 2-3hp would be about it. Thanks bud.

• Like 1

The thermostat housing was staring at me and i knew i was always going to pull the thermostat and replace it, so off it came and i hit it with the wire buff to find a wtf moment !...surely in 1964 the housing was not made in china???.

Any way it got buffed, sand blasted and painted ready for a new thermostat 👍CDE4DB99-8401-4F9E-B4CC-37DC7C6DFB23.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lookin really good bro! Your making a lot of progress!

• Like 1

Thanks Wrong way, its justA getting to the fun stuff now where i get to assemble everything including all the body panels i prepped back early last year when we where in lock down. ( drivers fender yet to be straightened )

Am going to look at buying some paint to do all the inner sections of the engine bay so i dont have to mask everything latter.

Am thinking of going with high opacity white and put a perl over the top.... 🙄

And once again i have bit the bullet and am going electric fan, 👍

hay question for you,,, does your e brake cables run under your trans cross member or over the top?? 🙄

on your 63 ?🙄

• Like 1

My brake cable runs under my cross member bro. But I'm honestly not sure if that's how the factory did it. So much was changed on this car by the time I got her. For example, when they put the 428/400 in. It looks like it had a slim Jim trans from the factory. The trans tunnel wasn't wide enough so the 400 turbo was actually touching the floor, like pushed up tight. The drive shaft was pushed all of the way up into the trans with no wiggle room, again pushed in tight like it was wedged in between the trans and rear end yoke. The trans had a 4x6 (guessing on the exact size) piece of thick steel bolted to it and that was welded to the trans mount, no rubber. Once I got engine and trans out I spent over an hour beating the trans mount out with a BFH, it to was wedged into place. But yes, the brake cable was under the trans cross member and still is bro. 

• Like 1

Oh, by the way bud, when you start putting your panels on or just have them out messing with them would you mind posting a picture of both fenders. In particular the front, lower portion between the wheel opening and the bumper section. No rush Justa whenever. Thanks bro

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

My brake cable runs under my cross member bro. But I'm honestly not sure if that's how the factory did it. So much was changed on this car by the time I got her. For example, when they put the 428/400 in. It looks like it had a slim Jim trans from the factory. The trans tunnel wasn't wide enough so the 400 turbo was actually touching the floor, like pushed up tight. The drive shaft was pushed all of the way up into the trans with no wiggle room, again pushed in tight like it was wedged in between the trans and rear end yoke. The trans had a 4x6 (guessing on the exact size) piece of thick steel bolted to it and that was welded to the trans mount, no rubber. Once I got engine and trans out I spent over an hour beating the trans mount out with a BFH, it to was wedged into place. But yes, the brake cable was under the trans cross member and still is bro. 

Thanks Wrong way, thats the path i was thinking they ran but justA wasn't 100% sure,👍

24 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Oh, by the way bud, when you start putting your panels on or just have them out messing with them would you mind posting a picture of both fenders. In particular the front, lower portion between the wheel opening and the bumper section. No rush Justa whenever. Thanks bro

Will do Mate, both are justA sitting here, i will get some pictures of the inside of each and post them 👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Can some one tell me the correct name for these clips ?:unsure:

is it a body clip ?

i have a whole bunch on the fenders I need to replace 

2F2B040E-5ADC-4267-AA8F-B307BCE49F90.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok I misspoke bro. I think its my passengers side fender that may be from a 64. Take a look, do you see it bro?

Fender D side.jpg

Fender P  side.jpg

Fender D side 2.jpg

Fender P side 2.jpg

One curves at the very end and one is straight.

Fender Kiwi.jpg

Fender D side 3.jpg

Fender P side 3.jpg