Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Water in headlight

I only just thought to post this on here. Whenever it rains, or I just wash my car, or do anything that involves water, the water will work its way into my headlight. It drives me crazy. Does it have to be resealed or something to prevent that from happening anymore?

http://foreverpontiac.com/uploads/garage_images/image_url-2172-1411739257.jpg

Thanks!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

even though i have a G6, you can try what i. i have a one piece headlight so i took out the turn signal bulb and turned on both low and high beams to create heat to evaporate the water. but also took a hair dryer to circulate the air out. once cooled and looked good i put a long strip of electrical tape at the top seal location. of course its only my temporary solution but havent had a problem since.

• Founders

Some moisture is in the headlight and/or getting in the headlight during these situations. This usually means some seal is failing. You have two options really:

1. Dry up the inside of the headlight using some method, ideally taking it apart and then resealing it OR what Ghost suggested above and going over the seal

2. Buy a new headlight.

This actually happened to my G6 when I first bought it and they replaced the headlight under warranty, luckily.

Rustoleum makes a spray (clear) water seal for various sealing jobs. Dry the light out and tape off the lens to the seal where front meets back od the headlight, along the entire top edge. Leave 1/2 in on both sides of the seal line for a good seal. If you can get to it without removing from the car, make sure you tape off N cover any paint as well. I would let it dry and 2nd coat. Good luck.

I'll probably have to try what you said Ghost. And then later on just buy new headlights because the other headlight also lets water in but not nearly as much as this one does. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

YES! point for me. :D since the weather is changing and depending on your location, for visibility and safety reasons, replacements may be needed sooner.

Don't know if this can be applied to your headlights but on my wife's old Volvo we had a similar recurring condition.

I had enough and drilled 1/8" holes in the lowest corner of each case just under the leading edge, this allowed drainage and I never had an issue beyond that point.

Don't know if this can be applied to your headlights but on my wife's old Volvo we had a similar recurring condition.

I had enough and drilled 1/8" holes in the lowest corner of each case just under the leading edge, this allowed drainage and I never had an issue beyond that point.

Mark recommended that to me as well.