Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

How To Seafoam Your Car

• Founders

Alright well I Seafoamed my car today and figured that we needed some How Tos on here. This is also how you should format your how to when you write one. Very easy to do so but here is a few things that we do require: Pictures (if its above really easy), detailed how to (not you unscrew this and bam your done), rate your how to's on difficulty (1-3 ;) faces is easy to intermediate, 4-5 :o faces equals hard to extremely hard) and overall be informative in the post because some members do not know how to do everything.

Anywho here's my little how to on how to Seafoam your car:

I just did 1 of the things that Seafoam is capable of and that is the Injection cleaning and this is what the write up is on. If Discount Auto Parts store really offered discounts instead of jacking its prices on me we would have learned how to do all of Seafoams capabilities but oh well here we go.

Difficulty: Easy

:D

What you'll need:

seafoam1.jpg

Seafoam (can find this at auto zone, discount auto, etc... for around $6-10)

Funnel

Rag if you spill any Seafoam

Uses of Seafoam

First off there are things you need to know about Seafoam, it is not a power adder but a power re-storer. It does not add power to your car but will restore it back hopefully to the good days when the build up of gunk on your injectors and engine was not there! If you are losing power and mpg due to carbon buildup, if you are experiencing pinging and if you're having trouble passing emissions test, seafoam may be your answer (yes, seafoam will actually reduce your emissions if carbon buildup is causing dirty exhaust fumes!). feeling the pinch at the pump lately? well, seafoam can be used to pick up a few extra mpg you have lost over the years and reduce or elimiate your engine ping by cleaning out your cylinders!

Also 1 can of Seafoam is good for up to a 25 gallon gas tank

Step One

Fill your gas tank up to FULL or about 3/4, wouldn't do it past that as the mixture will be too strong.

Step Two

Open the Seafoam can and pour it into your gas tank. Make sure you have a funnel because the can the Seafoam comes in does not work too well to get the Seafoam into your tank and if you decide to be cool and not use a funnel, in all reality you just wasted all your money because it will end up on the floor. SO USE FUNNEL!!!!

seafoam2.jpg

seafoam3.jpg

Step Three

Close up gas tank and take her for a good ride to mix the Seafoam with your gas right. Then just enjoy and hopefully your power will get restored and if you were having issues passing emissions test you will now!

Thank you for reading my how to and now you have an idea on the format of posting How To's on here.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'd like to add to this, that's just one way to use the Seafoam. The most effective way, IMO, is through the main vacuum line, off the brake booster.

1) Get the line off of the brake booster, you'll hear the air escaping. Start the car up, the idle will be funky.

2) Pour a 1/3 of the can into the line. Tell your buddy to keep the RPMS up high enough so the motor doesn't stall out. Once a 1/3 is in, turn the car off. Sometimes the car will sputter to a stop. This is normal, my car did it the first time I did mine.

3) Wait 10-15 minutes for the Seafoam to seep in, and absorb the carbon build up.

4) After the wait, start the car back up. Again, it's not going to want to idle, at all. Keep the RPMS around 2-2.5K, and watch the smoke show. Keep the RPMS like that for another 5-10 minutes, then take a quick drive. A run on the highway helps best.

• Founders
' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:21 PM' post='4789']

I'd like to add to this, that's just one way to use the Seafoam. The most effective way, IMO, is through the main vacuum line, off the brake booster.

1) Get the line off of the brake booster, you'll hear the air escaping. Start the car up, the idle will be funky.

2) Pour a 1/3 of the can into the line. Tell your buddy to keep the RPMS up high enough so the motor doesn't stall out. Once a 1/3 is in, turn the car off. Sometimes the car will sputter to a stop. This is normal, my car did it the first time I did mine.

3) Wait 10-15 minutes for the Seafoam to seep in, and absorb the carbon build up.

4) After the wait, start the car back up. Again, it's not going to want to idle, at all. Keep the RPMS around 2-2.5K, and watch the smoke show. Keep the RPMS like that for another 5-10 minutes, then take a quick drive. A run on the highway helps best.

;)

There's one for the transmission as well but a separate can from this one

This is great stuff and it cleans everything. The only thing that I was not warned about is that on a high mileage engine be prepared for it to clean everything out. This includes unseen leaks that have plugged over.

• 4 weeks later...

i usually pour 1/3 can in the oil 100 miles before a change...2/3 directly into the TB...allow to soak for 5 mins....start up smoke show...and 1 full can in the tank with a full tank of gas...works good for me...someone got a pic of the vaccum line that chris was talking about

Ok, so I've used the seafoam in the gas tank....that's easy.

Now as far as getting it into the Throttle body and the vacuum hose......

Would someone please :pics_NOW: as to where the hose is and how the bloody hell you got the seafoam into the throttle body area.............since the electronic throttle body is located physically below the rest of the intake, how are you getting it up into the intake area, or are you revving the engine so the intake sucks it into the intake valves? I really would like to see some pictures, cause I'm right at that window to do this before my next oil change.

thanks guys, BAMBAMM!

Use this picture if it will help.

2010-01-26%2015.53.24.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sea Foam is great stuff. I have used it both in the gas tank and through the vacuum hose. When using through the vacuum hose make sure your car is outside as it will smoke like a 3 alarm'er after the re-start. After a few minutes of running the smoke will subside....Sea Foam FTW

• 4 years later...

I love Seafoam.

My first experience was with a Tahoe with 250K on it and a lifter that would not stop ticking. Three treatments through the oil and that puppy was purring like its old self.

When I got the Formula it was running a bit rough. I Seafoamed the gas, vac and oil. When vac - ing it be ready for the smoke and do not go out on the road!

The gas tank treatment is easy and I do it at least once a year in all my vehicles.

Like mentioned above, I like to use it in the oil when an oil change is looming. And when its in there, you might want to take it easy on the engine.

Back to the Formula - after putting it in, I blew blue smoke on start up for a few days but for about 10 days I blew carbon deposits out the tailpipes.

It all cleared out and the car runs smooth and feels responsive again at 140k miles. SeaFoam! (I use it on the lawn mower, leaf blower, snow blower - anything with a motor - makes a nice fuel stabilizer too).