• Year:2006
  • Car:G6
  • Trim:GT
  • Engine:3.5L LX9
  • Style:Coupe
  • Color:Black
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Alright well I Seafoamed my car today and figured that we needed some How Tos on here. This is also how you should format your how to when you write one. Very easy to do so but here is a few things that we do require: Pictures (if its above really easy), detailed how to (not you unscrew this and bam your done), rate your how to's on difficulty (1-3 ;) faces is easy to intermediate, 4-5 :o faces equals hard to extremely hard) and overall be informative in the post because some members do not know how to do everything.

Anywho here's my little how to on how to Seafoam your car:
I just did 1 of the things that Seafoam is capable of and that is the Injection cleaning and this is what the write up is on. If Discount Auto Parts store really offered discounts instead of jacking its prices on me we would have learned how to do all of Seafoams capabilities but oh well here we go.

Difficulty: Easy
:D

What you'll need:
Posted Image
Seafoam (can find this at auto zone, discount auto, etc... for around $6-10)
Funnel
Rag if you spill any Seafoam

Uses of Seafoam

First off there are things you need to know about Seafoam, it is not a power adder but a power re-storer. It does not add power to your car but will restore it back hopefully to the good days when the build up of gunk on your injectors and engine was not there! If you are losing power and mpg due to carbon buildup, if you are experiencing pinging and if you're having trouble passing emissions test, seafoam may be your answer (yes, seafoam will actually reduce your emissions if carbon buildup is causing dirty exhaust fumes!). feeling the pinch at the pump lately? well, seafoam can be used to pick up a few extra mpg you have lost over the years and reduce or elimiate your engine ping by cleaning out your cylinders!

Also 1 can of Seafoam is good for up to a 25 gallon gas tank

Step One
Fill your gas tank up to FULL or about 3/4, wouldn't do it past that as the mixture will be too strong.

Step Two
Open the Seafoam can and pour it into your gas tank. Make sure you have a funnel because the can the Seafoam comes in does not work too well to get the Seafoam into your tank and if you decide to be cool and not use a funnel, in all reality you just wasted all your money because it will end up on the floor. SO USE FUNNEL!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Step Three
Close up gas tank and take her for a good ride to mix the Seafoam with your gas right. Then just enjoy and hopefully your power will get restored and if you were having issues passing emissions test you will now!

Thank you for reading my how to and now you have an idea on the format of posting How To's on here.

Tired of the ads? Register to get rid of them!

#2 [ChaosweaveR]

[ChaosweaveR]

FP's resident Sonic fan

• Global Moderator
  • 7,623 posts
  • Joined 21-January 10
  • Name:Chaotis Maximus
  • Year:2005
  • Car:Honda Accord
  • Trim:EX-L
  • Engine:K24A4
  • Color:Alabaster Silver Metallic
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

I'd like to add to this, that's just one way to use the Seafoam. The most effective way, IMO, is through the main vacuum line, off the brake booster.

1) Get the line off of the brake booster, you'll hear the air escaping. Start the car up, the idle will be funky.
2) Pour a 1/3 of the can into the line. Tell your buddy to keep the RPMS up high enough so the motor doesn't stall out. Once a 1/3 is in, turn the car off. Sometimes the car will sputter to a stop. This is normal, my car did it the first time I did mine.
3) Wait 10-15 minutes for the Seafoam to seep in, and absorb the carbon build up.
4) After the wait, start the car back up. Again, it's not going to want to idle, at all. Keep the RPMS around 2-2.5K, and watch the smoke show. Keep the RPMS like that for another 5-10 minutes, then take a quick drive. A run on the highway helps best.

AccordBanner_zps9adcb95a.jpg?t=140330219
noegDSf.jpg?2
2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo

#3 Ringo64

Ringo64

It's Good to Be King

• Root Admin
  • 9,065 posts
  • Joined 24-December 09
  • Name:Jim
  • Year:2006
  • Engine:3.5L LX9
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:21 PM' post='4789']
I'd like to add to this, that's just one way to use the Seafoam. The most effective way, IMO, is through the main vacuum line, off the brake booster.

1) Get the line off of the brake booster, you'll hear the air escaping. Start the car up, the idle will be funky.
2) Pour a 1/3 of the can into the line. Tell your buddy to keep the RPMS up high enough so the motor doesn't stall out. Once a 1/3 is in, turn the car off. Sometimes the car will sputter to a stop. This is normal, my car did it the first time I did mine.
3) Wait 10-15 minutes for the Seafoam to seep in, and absorb the carbon build up.
4) After the wait, start the car back up. Again, it's not going to want to idle, at all. Keep the RPMS around 2-2.5K, and watch the smoke show. Keep the RPMS like that for another 5-10 minutes, then take a quick drive. A run on the highway helps best.

;)

There's one for the transmission as well but a separate can from this one

#4 [ChaosweaveR]

[ChaosweaveR]

FP's resident Sonic fan

• Global Moderator
  • 7,623 posts
  • Joined 21-January 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

I don't have any experience with the trans formula, nor do I have any feedback. If if it works as good as the engine formula, then I would imagine it works like a charm.

noegDSf.jpg?2

#5 notallthere

notallthere

Those who think they know everything piss of those of us who do.

• Regional Moderator
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined 10-January 10
  • Interests:Driving panel vans to highschool proms uninvited.
  • Name:Mike -- means he who is like God
  • Car:Vibe
  • Trim:Base
  • Engine:1.8L
  • Style:Hatchback
  • Color:It's Freakin Grey

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

This is great stuff and it cleans everything. The only thing that I was not warned about is that on a high mileage engine be prepared for it to clean everything out. This includes unseen leaks that have plugged over.

866661979Chevrolet2-DoorSedan.jpg

The alien mothership is in orbit here. If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
-Zapp Brannigan.

Was going through my wifes' purse, looking for my paycheck (already gone) when, just like magic POOF!, there were my testicles...

#6 markpetersonii

markpetersonii

Moder-bator

• Regional Mod & Supporting
  • 4,502 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09
  • Interests:Photography and Driving
  • Name:Mark
  • Year:2004
  • Car:Pontiac GTO
  • Engine:5.7 LS1
  • Color:Quick Silver Metallic
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

I love this stuff! :angry:

2004 Pontiac GTO - Quick Silver Metallic

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - White Hot

#7 danmccormick87

danmccormick87

Experienced Pontiac Poster

• Supporting Member
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09
  • Interests:Cars, cars, cars, need I say more! I love modification, bass, and car shows, enjoy being outside, and just hanging out and having a great time!
  • Name:Dan
  • Year:1996
  • Car:Eagle Talon
  • Trim:TSI
  • Engine:2.0 4G63T

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:13 AM

Mark, you've done this?!?! I am gonna have you or another one of the Cali locals do this to my G6 then :lol2:
....... CarDomain ........................... My Old G6 Progression ............................ MySpace .......
Posted Image
It's not about how fast you get to your destination, it's about how you many heads you turn when you get there....

#8 gt3400

gt3400

n00bcake

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 09-February 10
  • Year:2004
  • Car:Grand Am
  • Trim:SC/T

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

i usually pour 1/3 can in the oil 100 miles before a change...2/3 directly into the TB...allow to soak for 5 mins....start up smoke show...and 1 full can in the tank with a full tank of gas...works good for me...someone got a pic of the vaccum line that chris was talking about

-2004 Grand Am SC/T-Fusion Orange-SC/T Hood-SC/T spoiler-Monsoon-Leather-2 12" Audiobahn subs-3 piece K&N CAI-NGK Iridiums-MSD 8.5 wires-Front STB-Flowmaster80-Ractive Tips-3 guage pod-Tuned PCM-best of all...the girl in the passenger seat;)-

#9 BAMBAMM

BAMBAMM

Century Club

• Regional Mod & Supporting
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 25-January 10
  • Year:2009
  • Engine:3.5L VVT
  • Style:Sedan
  • Color:Performance Red Metallic

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

Ok, so I've used the seafoam in the gas tank....that's easy.

Now as far as getting it into the Throttle body and the vacuum hose......
Would someone please :pics_NOW: as to where the hose is and how the bloody hell you got the seafoam into the throttle body area.............since the electronic throttle body is located physically below the rest of the intake, how are you getting it up into the intake area, or are you revving the engine so the intake sucks it into the intake valves? I really would like to see some pictures, cause I'm right at that window to do this before my next oil change.

thanks guys, BAMBAMM!

Use this picture if it will help.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 [ChaosweaveR]

[ChaosweaveR]

FP's resident Sonic fan

• Global Moderator
  • 7,623 posts
  • Joined 21-January 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

On the brake booster, there is a hose connected, that's the hose you feed the Seafoam through.

noegDSf.jpg?2

#11 danmccormick87

danmccormick87

• Supporting Member
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09
  • Interests:Cars, cars, cars, need I say more! I love modification, bass, and car shows, enjoy being outside, and just hanging out and having a great time!

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:18 AM

Behind the battery, basically
....... CarDomain ........................... My Old G6 Progression ............................ MySpace .......
Posted Image
It's not about how fast you get to your destination, it's about how you many heads you turn when you get there....

#12 oldmanvette1975

oldmanvette1975

Learning to Fly

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 11-March 10
  • Year:2008
  • Trim:GXP

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Sea Foam is great stuff. I have used it both in the gas tank and through the vacuum hose. When using through the vacuum hose make sure your car is outside as it will smoke like a 3 alarm'er after the re-start. After a few minutes of running the smoke will subside....Sea Foam FTW
Posted Image

#13 '86_TransAM

'86_TransAM

Century Club

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
  • Interests:Cars... mostly GM... mostly Pontiac.
  • Year:1986
  • Car:Pontiac Firebird
  • Trim:T/A
  • Engine:305 TPI
  • Color:Red and Silver

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Just used it on the Trans AM, it's good stuff...

Posted Image

#14 danmccormick87

danmccormick87

• Supporting Member
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'm going to do this to my vehicles when I get home, you guys have convinced me :rofl:
Posted Image

#15 Tom King

Tom King

n00bcake

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 23-August 14
  • Name:Tom
  • Year:1989
  • Car:Firebird
  • Trim:Form

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

I love Seafoam.

My first experience was with a Tahoe with 250K on it and a lifter that would not stop ticking.   Three treatments through the oil and that puppy was purring like its old self.

When I got the Formula it was running a bit rough.    I Seafoamed the gas, vac and oil.      When vac - ing it be ready for the smoke and do not go out on the road!

The gas tank treatment is easy and I do it at least once a year in all my vehicles.  

Like mentioned above, I like to use it in the oil when an oil change is looming.   And when its in there, you might want to take it easy on the engine.

Back to the Formula  -  after putting it in, I blew blue smoke on start up for a few days but for about 10 days I blew carbon deposits out the tailpipes.

It all cleared out and the car runs smooth and feels responsive again at 140k miles.     SeaFoam!    (I use it on the lawn mower, leaf blower, snow blower - anything with a motor - makes a nice fuel stabilizer too).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users