Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Metal Discussion Thread!

[ChaosweaveR]

Got a band you discovered, and want to share?

Want to find new music to dive into?

Here ya go, but first, I'll straighten out the very most common confusions on what is thrown into the vast genre of metal.

The sub genres. Metal is truely a vast style, with many styles within itself. The average person probably only knows about 20% of it at best. The majority of it is underground, mainly found by others by word of mouth, but thanks to music sites like Pandora, they're becoming more available to most, while not being shoved in the limelight. Now, the main subgenres of metal:

Doom Metal: a very heavy, slow, gloomy sound. Off shoots of this are drone and sludge. A very good example of doom will surprise most: Black Sabbath. That slow, gloom sound is pretty much the basis for most other bands.

Bands in the genre: Funeral, Candlemass, Draconian, Electric Wizard, Doomsword, Throes of Dawn and Solitude Aeturnus

Death Metal: known for very fast, heavy riffs, and deep growl vocals. With lyric content right out of a horror movie. Most often confuse the majority of all metal to this genre. Bands in this genre: Goatwhore, Vader, Element, Augury, Behemoth, Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse.

Power Metal: known for very fast, melodic riffs, orchestral elements, and keyboard and guitar solos galore. The "cheesy" factor comes into play with lyric content, with stories that are right out of fantasy novels. Very clean, sometimes high pitched vocals are the norm. Bands in this genre: Stratovarius, Royal Hunt, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Axenstar, Sonata Arctica and Thunderstone.

Progressive Metal: Very complex and technical music styles, this style is often compared, and sometimes confused with power. But most Prog isn't as upbeat and "happy" sounding like Power tends to be. Bands in this genre: Dream Theater, Opeth, Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Symphony X, Evergrey and Communic.

Black Metal: musically, it's similar to death, but black brings more technicality and orchestral elements to the table, and more complex lyric styles. Often very dark, sometimes anti-religious, the style of black in very unique, despite the dark nature of the music itself. Bands in this genre: Old Man's Child, Dragonlord, Cradle of Filth, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir.

Thrash Metal: with it's roots from the US, this style implies fast riffs, and speedy drumming and guitar solos. The most common band to associate thrash with: Metallica, mainly, their first four albums. Bands in this genre: Megadeth, Overkill, Slayer, Kreator, Floatsom and Jetsom, Annihilator and Susperia.

Metalcore: The most mainstream of genres, combining metal elements with hardcore. Most is very fast, with harsh screaming vocals. This genre is usually seen as a gateway for new metal fans, before they start digging for other genres. Bands in this genre: All That Remains, Killswitch Engauge, DevilDriver, Demon Hunter, Despised Icon, Job For A Cowboy and The Red Chord.

Melodic Death Metal: a genre combining the heavy, crunchy riffs and deep growl vocals of death, and combining it with the technicality, melodic elements and clean vocals of power and progressive. Bands in this genre: Scar Symmetry, Into Eternity, Soilwork, In Flames, Mnemic, and Dark Tranquility.

Folk and Viking Metal: known for use of untraditional styles (fiddles and accordians in their music for example) with most bands coming from the Noirweigian area (Scandinavian countires, like Finland, Sweden, and Norway) with lyrics usually inspired from local folklore. Bands in this genre: Borknagar, Finntroll, Windir, Butterfly Temple, and Korpiklaani.

The one genre that is still at the center of debate with most metal fans: nu-metal. Despite all arguements, bands under this are NOT metal. They have metal influences in thier music, yes, but do not fall under any sort of catagory at all. Bandsin this: Slipknot, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Etc.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hatebreed is straight up hardcore. I listen to them once in a blue moon.

Lately I've been loving Doom metal. I picked up a few albums by Funeral. Amazing stuff. I'll throw up a song in a few.

okie dokie! :)

I love Hatebreed! Just bought their new CD yesterday.

I do listen to some metal though, mostly Cannibal Corpse, Devil Driver, Soulfly, Arch Enemy. That's about it though, not a HUGE Metal guy.

DevilDriver and Arch Enemy I like from time to time.

Here's the song by Funeral that's stuck in my head, "This Barren Skin", damn, it is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt93z352J6Y

' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:40 AM' post='5876']

DevilDriver and Arch Enemy I like from time to time.

Here's the song by Funeral that's stuck in my head, "This Barren Skin", damn, it is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt93z352J6Y

Meh... Not too bad. I liked the beginning, not my style though.

You'd be surprised what you'd like.

Meh... Not too bad. I liked the beginning, not my style though.

Funeral puts the Doom in Doom Metal, not for eveyone.

Check out Solitude Aetunus and Candlemass. They have more of the Black Sabbath doom feel.

' date='Jan 26 2010, 01:32 PM' post='5872']

Hatebreed is straight up hardcore. I listen to them once in a blue moon.

Lately I've been loving Doom metal. I picked up a few albums by Funeral. Amazing stuff. I'll throw up a song in a few.

Hatebreed FTW Meshuggah FTW too

ive always been into metal. my friends on the other hand dont understand.

also these styles FTW

Death Metal: known for very fast, heavy riffs, and deep growl vocals. With lyric content right out of a horror movie. Most often confuse the majority of all metal to this genre. Bands in this genre: Goatwhore, Vader, Element, Augury, Behemoth, Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse.

Progressive Metal: Very complex and technical music styles, this style is often compared, and sometimes confused with power. But most Prog isn't as upbeat and "happy" sounding like Power tends to be. Bands in this genre: Dream Theater, Opeth, Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Symphony X, Evergrey and Communic.

Thrash Metal: with it's roots from the US, this style implies fast riffs, and speedy drumming and guitar solos. The most common band to associate thrash with: Metallica, mainly, their first four albums. Bands in this genre: Megadeth, Overkill, Slayer, Kreator, Floatsom and Jetsom and Susperia

Metalcore: The most mainstream of genres, combining metal elements with hardcore. Most is very fast, with harsh screaming vocals. This genre is usually seen as a gateway for new metal fans, before they start digging for other genres. Bands in this genre: All That Remains, Killswitch Engauge, DevilDriver, Demon Hunter, Despised Icon, Job For A Cowboy and The Red Chord.

' date='Jan 26 2010, 11:48 AM' post='5892']

You'd be surprised what you'd like.

Funeral puts the Doom in Doom Metal, not for eveyone.

Check out Solitude Aetunus and Candlemass. They have more of the Black Sabbath doom feel.

Pretty Good (Candlemass), I like their sound. I can listen to that! :)

Hatebreed FTW Meshuggah FTW too

ive always been into metal. my friends on the other hand dont understand.

also these styles FTW

I never figured you as the metal type. Haha. Awesome.

And yes, the average person doesn't understand. :)

Pretty Good (Candlemass), I like their sound. I can listen to that! :)

I have an extensive library, let me know when you want more music and suggestions.

' date='Jan 27 2010, 12:48 AM' post='5931']

No, they fall under hard rock. I'll bite my tongue about them...

Let's just say... I hate them. :lol2:

Boo!!! I really like them, but don't expect much else from them, as their drummer just passed away recently :woot:

' date='Jan 26 2010, 03:51 PM' post='5902']

I never figured you as the metal type. Haha. Awesome.

And yes, the average person doesn't understand. :lol2:

I have an extensive library, let me know when you want more music and suggestions.

i have a wide variety of metal. ill hit you up soon, you prob have something i missed.

metal FTW

i use to watch headbanger's ball back when Jamey Jasta hosted it.

i have a wide variety of metal. ill hit you up soon, you prob have something i missed.

metal FTW

i use to watch headbanger's ball back when Jamey Jasta hosted it.

It was cool to see that show come back, but by god, what crap it spews out now.

And totally hit me up with what ya want.

• Founders

The closet I go to Metal music is a few Black Sabbath songs, Metallica (I'm sure you don't count them as metal cause I didn't see it your list of what is things) and of course who I do listen to a lot of Def Leppard and the Scorpions (which are probably pussy bands to you but they have a lot of good songs and you can't diss the 1 armed drummer!!!!!)

Metallica faded into hard rock after the black album, but prior, they were thrash.

Def Leppard, eh. Never got the appeal. They're loosely under heavy metal, likewise with bands like Dio, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

• Founders
' date='Jan 26 2010, 07:11 PM' post='5973']

Def Leppard, eh. Never got the appeal. They're loosely under heavy metal, likewise with bands like Dio, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Def Leppard is like any band a lot of their main stream stuff like "Pour some Sugar on me" blows but stuff like "Animal" , "Foolin'", "Two Steps behind" , "Rocket" and a lot on the Vault album I really like even though those are said as the "classic" Leppard you don't really hear them a lot on the radio. Saw them in concert for like $20 with Styx and REO Speedwagon. Absolute awesome concert I must say! Leppard rocked the stadium, brought my gf at the time, she wasn't that big of a fan next thing I know she's singing along to every bands song I play after that concert.

Two Steps Behind stands today as my favorite acoustic guitar piece ever written! Plus the acoustic version of When Love and Hate Collide is pretty damn good.

That's cool.

The last band I saw live, was Dream Theater. By god, they are something else. John Petrucci is just magical, his solos are a force to be reckoned with. That, and Symphony X's Micheal Romeo, and Racer X's Paul Gilbert. Full of win.